Chapter 3

Vote

fan

comement

tweet

like

speard the word of my story :P

Andre woke up to the alarm pounding in his ears; he winced, slamming a hand on the snooze button. Just as he was about to get to bed again the door was pushed opened, his brother in the door way.

“Come on, we’re leaving soon, get ready. Oh and go wake Hazel up!” Andrew none but shouted before leaving. Andre groaned, throwing his sheet out of the way.  Stupid Hazel! She always had to ruin everything. Knocking once he threw open her bedroom door. Surprisingly her bed was made and she was nowhere to be seen. Where could she have possible gone?

“Hazel, where are you? We’re doing this for you, you know?” he got no answer.  Walking towards her closet, he made an abrupt halt at her bed. In the centre of her rose filled Dona cover was a note. A single paper addressed to the De Zilva family. Curiosity got the better of him.

There is a saying curiosity killed the cat, well it may have killed the cat, but it most certainly didn’t kill him. His eyes immediately lit up and suddenly he was wide awake. He started jumping up and down like a crazy maniac shouting random words at absolutely no one. Hearing footsteps he quickly turned around and discovered his dad staring at him as if he was crazy.

“What?” Marlon asked his son.

“Look at this letter, she’s gone! Now we don’t even have to leave!” he shouted excitedly, pumping his fist in the air with delight.  For the first time since Hazel had come into his life, she had something right. Marlon hesitantly took the letter out of his son’s outstretched hands. Looking up at Andre once, Marlon started to read the letter. Marlon’s eyes widened as he got closer to the bottom. For a minute no one spoke.

“We have to find her!” Marlon stated.

***

Daylight had finally arrived. For Hazel the night couldn’t have been any worse.  Sleeping out on the streets was not comfortable and it made her grateful for the life she had back at the orphanage. Sitting up she winced as pain shot up her back, cement wasn’t the best thing to sleep on, especially when it was a cold, misty night.    

Her stomach growled, but she knew she had to keep walking Marlon would have already found the note, who knew what he could be doing. She took out the small map of Wake Summer Island Wendy had given her when she first arrived. Hazel hadn’t seen the use of it at the time, but she knew now that it was a good thing Wendy had given it to her.

Scanning the map while walking, she couldn’t see any place she could go. Hazel suddenly had a brilliant idea. She had to go somewhere with very little people, somewhere somewhat isolated. The country side would be perfect. Hazel skimmed through the map looking for wide green areas.  A place named Meadow Field caught her attention. On the map, the majority of it was farm land, but it was quite a distance away, which was a good thing. 

The first thing Hazel did after sighting her destination on the map was hiring a taxi. Looking around she found a pay phone. She did have her own phone, but she didn’t want to use it, Marlon might be able to track her down if she did.  She took out her wallet and retrieved a one dollar coin, sliding it into the slot on the side; she flipped through the yellow pages book, placed next to the pay phone. Hazel called the first taxi service she found.

“Hello, Silver Top Taxi service. How can I help you?” asked a cheery voice on the other side of the phone. Looking around at some of the signs on the road, Hazel memorized some brief directions for the taxi.

“I need a taxi at the South Gate Yarra, I am at the pay phone at the moment, but I can meet the taxi outside the department store,” Hazel replied into the phone.

“Ok a taxi should arrive for you shortly, thank you.”

Hazel headed out to the front of the massive shopping complex. People zipped in and out, departing the store with masses of various bags, carrying their new merchandise.  Hazel looked around trying to find the silver top taxi that was meant to take her to the country side. She just hoped it would be able to take her the whole way.  She spotted the silver top of a taxi stopping a few meters away from her, she ran to catch up with it. The driver rolled down the window so she could talk to him.

“I’m sorry, I am waiting for someone,” the driver told her. He was a small man, long chocolate hair hanging at his neck.

“I know, I called your service and they said they would send a taxi for me,” Hazel responded, hoping that the taxi was for her. Realization dawned on the man and he nodded his head. It was a good thing that not many people knew that the Prime-minister had adopted a child into his family; if they did, Hazel would had to have used a disguise.

“Where would you like to go?” asked the taxi driver, eager to get going. Hazel bit her lip; even if she couldn’t get the taxi to take her all the way maybe she could walk the rest.

“Meadow Field…” Hazel mumbled, more to herself. The driver looked horrified at the idea.

“But that’s two days away!” he exclaimed. Hazel nodded her head; however she didn’t think it was that far away. He was probably exaggerating a.

“I know, but I need to get there and I can’t walk all the way and I can’t drive, please?” she begged with pleading eyes.

“It’s not working!” he sternly replied as Hazel did her puppy dog face, which often seemed to work. The driver looked away, not wanting to be affected by it.

“Oh all right!” He replied adding a sigh at the end. “But you will have to pay heaps, got it?” Hazel nodded her head vigorously, thanking no one in particular inside her head.  Hazel jumped into the taxi, pulling her suitcase with her.

***

“I am seriously hungry!” Hazel complained to the driver. He gave her an annoyed look. They had been traveling for hours and the only thing Hazel did was grumble.

“What’s your name? I’m Louise,” he asked her.

“Hazel.”

“Well Hazel, I don’t know you that much, but seriously you complain way too much!” Louise stated with a smirk just as annoying as Andre’s. She felt a twang at the pit of her stomach. She defiantly missed the De Zilva family, even Andre. Louise reminded Hazel of Andre, the same annoying smirk, same stupid comebacks.  

“Hey, it was just a joke. No need to get upset!” Louise replied noticing the look on her face.

“It’s not that,” she replied. Silence engulfed the taxi. No one spoke a word, till they reached Hungry Jacks. Hazel didn’t feel like going in to eat so she gave Louise her order and he departed to get the food. He came back in about five minutes with a burger for himself and one for her. After eating and satisfying her stomach, Hazel fell into a deep sleep.

Hazel woke up to someone shouting her name. She rubbed her sleepy eyes and opened them. Louise was shaking her awake.

“What?” she grumbled.

“We’re here and I know I didn’t take two days. That will be $250 thank you,” he replied already taking her suitcase out of his beloved taxi. Hazel reached into the pocket of her suit case and pulled out three $100 bills and gave it to him. He gave her back the change and zipped away out of sight. Hazel was once again alone; she needed to find a place she could stay.

Looking around, there weren’t many shops or buildings. The only thing she took see for miles was green grass land. Only around three people were walking about. Suddenly something tapped to a pole caught her attention. It was a help wanted sign. Help was needed around the farm in exchange for a place to stay along with food and water. It was perfect for Hazel and she felt her hopes rise again. Maybe she could survive on her own after all.

 votes please??????????????????????????????????