An angel... taken

Ciel made his way up the stairs, just in time for the front door to be opened roughly, revealing the usual, cheery Elizabeth running towards him.

"Ciel!"

"L-lizzy-" Ciel stuttered, just in time for Elizabeth to roughly grab him by the hand and spin him around effortlessly.

As if he was a rag doll.

As soon as Elizabeth had stopped spinning him around, Ciel remained flat on the floor, groaning. He instantly envied the carpet, and wanted to disappear.

"Ciel! this is for you, open it! now, come on! open it!" Elizabeth jumped happily, offering him a small box.

Ciel pinched the bridge of his nose, picking himself up gently, as he took the small box delicately with his gloved hand, slowly tugging on the ribbon lace. The light from the ceiling made the ring on Ciel's finger shine, making Elizabeth blink and grab his hand- stopping his movement.

Ciel looked at her in confusion, just as Elizabeth stared at the blue ring on his thumb. "Wh-what? I-i thought I b-broke this?"

Ciel blinked twice, before placing his gaze on his precious ring. "Sebastian repaired it."

"B-but, I-it was all cracked! I don't even see any flaws!" Elizabeth gasped, trying to voice out her scrambled thoughts while inspecting the ring on his thumb like a madwoman.

"Such is only natural-" Sebastian started, as Ciel continued boredly, "-who serves as a butler for the Phantomhives."

Sebastian raised an eyebrow, before smiling and bowing his head, "Exactly as the young master says."

"I-i see." Elizabeth spoke softly, sadness evident on her surprisingly soft voice.

"My Lady?" Paula walked further to her beloved mistress, concern and worry present on both her gentle features. It was unusual to see her mistress like this, especially when she seemed so excited to give Ciel her present.

Out of the blue, Sebastian spoke, "Lady Elizabeth, if I may ask, what might be inside the box?"

Elizabeth blushed, taking the box back roughly, flailing around while trying to hide her blushing face, "A-ah! t-this is j-just- a S-secret!" Elizabeth shouted, her voice ringing around the halls.

Ciel and Sebastian's eyes widened with shock, clearly becoming more and more baffled by Lady Elizabeth's motives.

"But, didn't you say that you were going to give it to me?" Ciel asked, curiosity evident on his voice.

Elizabeth winked, smiling smugly, "T-that was a feint!"

"A feint?" Ciel sweatdropped. Clearly this woman had issues.

"A lady who tries to catch a man's attention with gifts-is no lady. It's unseemly! N-now Paula, ring the bells!" Elizabeth continued, looking back at Paula with fake cheeriness.

"Y-yes, my lady. Jingle-jingle!" Paula smiled, shaking the bells on her gloved hand.

Elizabeth hid the box behind her, as she waved, "N-now then, have a good day!"

Before Ciel could even say something, Elizabeth grabbed Paula roughly by the hand, and rushed outside, the door slamming shut behind them.

Sebastian and Ciel stared at the door, as Ciel spoke, sweatdropping, "So, what did she come over for then?"

"Tomorrow's your birthday, young master. Perhaps, that was the reason." Sebastian commented, looking at Ciel with the corner of his eye.

Ciel's face turned grim, his eyes becoming dull as he looked away. He suddenly felt very tired of what had happened.