Chapter Eight: The Winter's Ball

The night of the ball was the most beautiful night Anne had yet seen. The moon was full and shone high, the pitch black sky its throne. Everything was engulfed in rich, white snow and the lights in the streets were all lit. Dainty snowflakes were dancing in the air and the scene could not be more perfect.

The night was so romantic and Anne loved every single bit of it. She had worn a coat over her gown and was now walking to the Grand Rushdon, observing her surrounding; living and breathing every moment of it.

Anne let out a breath, fog coming out of her lips. She rolled the tiny ball of crumpled paper between her fingers by habit for she was anxious about what this beautiful night had in store.

She stopped in her tracks in front of the Rushdon, ignoring all the couples that walked past her and opened the crumpled wad of paper.

Anne Shirley Cuthbert, if you would grant me the honor of being my pair to the ball, I would be beyond grateful. Meet me behind The Grand Rushdon where the ball is being held. I'll be waiting.

Sincerely,
Your Secret Admirer

Anne took a deep breath and looked up the Rushdon.

"Here goes nothing." Anne said walking in to the palace, leaving her coat by the door.
The ballroom was packed with people, ranging from all ages but school children were the majority. Everyone looked dolled up and sharp. The girls wore grand gowns with puffed sleeves like Anne's and the boys wore black suits, their hair pushed back.

Anne felt a wash of relief.
All is well. I blend in, She thought.
She imagined Princess Cordelia would have a much grander entrance but right now, despite the fact that she finally felt royal, she was thankful nobody looked at her.
This was the first time she had ever felt so elite. To ease her anxiety, she imagined herself as Princess Cordelia, looking for her knight in shining armor. She silently walked around the ballroom, trying her best to hold her chin up high as she held up her gown with her fingertips.

O knight in shining armor, I am no damsel and I need not your rescuing but your company tonight would be nice. O knight in shining armor, where are you?
She thought in her head, playing pretend.
She wanted to declare these words out loud and badly wished she could play pretend in the middle of the dance floor but she held her tongue.

O knight in shining armor, I don't need you but being alone is no fun at all.

Suddenly, her wandering blue eyes met with a pair of green ones from across the room and yet once again, the butterflies in her stomach broke loose.
Gilbert stood there from across the room, his head of jet black curls neatly laid atop his head. He wore a black suit and tie and looked quite sharp.
His mouth gaped slightly open when he caught sight of Anne. Ruby was by his side as well. She was getting food from the table behind him.
They held their gazes for what felt like eternity then Anne looked down at the ground and walked away.
Gilbert's eyes followed her. He craned his neck and stood on his toes just to see her but she got lost in the crowd.

Anne came looking for Diana, walking in increasing speed; she felt her heart drumming in her chest.

No. You will not ruin this night, Gilbert Blythe.

"Anne!" Diana called out. Anne looked in her direction recognizing the familiar voice and sure enough, standing by the fondue was Diana and her pair Charlie Sloane.
"Diana!" Anne cried in relief. She ran to her bosom friend and hugged her tightly. "Oh my goodness, you look so beautiful!" Anne said, spinning Diana around.

"As do you, Anne!" Diana giggled.

"Ehem," Charlie cleared his throat.

Anne chuckled. "You look beautiful too, Charlie."
All of them laughed in unison.