Chapter Five: A Surprise For Supper

The sun had just set when Anne arrived at Green Gables. After the encounter with Gilbert in the woods, he offered to walk her home but Anne politely declined. She doesn't think she can bear being near him anymore without her stomach going berserk. Her feelings for him became more and more confounding by the second!And with that mysterious note and her non existent dress to the ball, not to mention Marilla and Matthew's unconfirmed permission, Anne was at her wit's end.
She huffed in exasperation, letting her light figure fall violently on the bed.
She closed her eyes tight, breathing in deep.
"Curse that wretched boy." She muttered under her breath. "You think you can confuse me, Gilbert Blythe? With your warm smiles and unnecessary, complimentary comparisons with the sun? Ha! I don't think so."
She felt her eyes roll, despite them being closed. "I don't know what Ruby found so utterly compelling in you. You're so....ugh!" She groaned.

"That's it. I am not going to think about Gilbert Blythe for one more second."

"Think about who now?" Marilla asked, making Anne bolt right up in her bed.

"Marilla! How long had you been standing there?" Anne asked with doe like eyes.

"Not long enough, regrettably." She replied, a slight teasing smile crept up on her face, causing the lines to become more prominent.

"Come down for supper, we have a small surprise waiting." Marilla smiled.

"Oh but Marilla, I want to ask you first if it would be all right if I go to the-"

"Oh, whatever it is, we can discuss it later. You've had a long day by the sound of it, so come downstairs and eat." She cut her off and proceeded to exit the room.

Anne sighed.

*****
Anne proceeded to follow Marilla down to the dining room. The fact that a surprise was waiting had just now hit her and she was bursting with curiosity.

The savory scent of mashed potatoes and chicken greeted her as she sat at the table.
"Good evening, Matthew." She greeted the old man who was watching Marilla place the food down on the table.

"Good evening, Anne. How was your day?" He smiled as Marilla wiped her hands on her apron and sat down. The two elders were now looking expectantly at Anne, waiting for her response.

"It was...." She said contemplating whether she should tell them about her current concerns. "Fine." She smiled.

Marilla snorted. "Well, by the sound of your mutterings in your room, it was not."

"What mutterings is it you speak of?" Matthew asked, confused.

"Nothing." Anne hastily replied, Marilla shooting her a smirk as she served herself a spoonful of mashed potatoes on her plate.
Matthew frowned down on his plate.
Anne's heart ached, knowing Matthew was feeling left out so she let out a breath she'd been holding in, and gave in. "Oh, alright." Anne said, making both Marilla and Matthew look at her.

"Well, the day started out incredibly gorgeous. My lovely friend, the sun, came knocking at my window early this morning, but she hid soon after breakfast. Then I ate a lovely meal of toasted bread and-"

"Oh, Anne. We know how your morning went, we were there. " Marilla chuckled.
Anne sighed for what seemed like the billionth time this day and gave up.
"Today was quite baffling to say the least." She confessed, a weary expression slowly emerging. Anne poked at her food and got lost in her thoughts once again.

"Why do you say so?" Marilla pressed on.
Anne looked at Marilla as if trying to decide whether she should tell her or not.

"Um....nothing. It was just filled with mystery, is all." She said, eating a spoonful of mashed potatoes.