Chapter Seven: Help From Marilla

Everybody started to flee the Rushdon at about 5 in the afternoon to ready themselves for the big night. The three friends, Anne, Ruby and Diana walked alongside each other, their once full baskets now light and empty. The sky was now dim since the winter made the days shorter, and the moon was slowly revealing itself in the blue skies. The three girls walked together through the woods and chatted on as they headed home.

"Oh, it was wonderful! You should have seen it, Anne. It was everything I've ever dreamed of and more!" Ruby gushed, recalling the events earlier that day.
Anne looked down at her shoes and stuffed her cold hands in her pockets. She then looked up at Ruby and smiled warmly at her, but her eyes lacked the glimmer it once had and Diana noticed. She felt so sorry for her bosom friend. She knew that no matter how much Anne denied it, she cared for Gilbert more than she let on.
Diana also knew that if Anne wasn't aware of it before, she certainly was now.

"That's amazing! I'm so happy for you, Ruby. It really was bad timing that I headed out at that time. I just decided to take in the view outside and I miss a whole lot! Please, enlighten me with all the details! Was it ever so romantic? Did time slow down as you looked into each other's eyes and felt like everyone and everything disappeared until...." Anne rambled but then started to slow down and looked at the ground. The feelings she imagined for Ruby felt awfully familiar. Then it hit her; that's what she feels when she looks at Gilbert.
What have I gotten myself into? Anne anxiously thought, the reality of her feelings for this boy suddenly striking her.
She was not sure of how she felt about Gilbert before, but now that she had witnessed him in the company of someone else's, she was certain.

She liked Gilbert Blythe.

"U-until what Anne?" Ruby asked giddily, her pink lips turning up into a small, excited smile.

Anne looked at Ruby once more. And as Anne gazed at Ruby, she realized how much Gilbert made her friend happy. The genuine happiness that was painted on Ruby's face made her heart ache and glad all at once. And as Ruby grinned at her expectantly, Anne vowed to diminish every bit of emotion she has for Gilbert Blythe.

It's better off that way.

"Until...it was just you and him." Anne finished her sentence, smiling at Ruby.

Ruby gasped. "It felt exactly like that! How did you know?"

"Uh, well. That's how they describe it in books." Anne replied. Diana observed her and immediately knew at a glance that she was lying. That's not how she knows.

"Oh." Ruby muttered, nodding to herself in understanding. "Well, it was completely wonderful! When you told me to go to Gilbert to give him some cookies, I was so excited! And nervous too! But I'm glad you did because he complimented me on my cookies. And then out of the blue, he asked me if I wanted to go to the ball with him, but before I could answer, the orchestra in the corner of the room started playing. They were just practicing but it came at a perfect timing! Then Gilbert asked for my hand, he said-he said; Ehem," Ruby excitedly narrated, imitating Gilbert's voice which made Anne laugh. "Just in case you say no, would you give me the honor- no- the pleasure of dancing with me now?" Ruby giggled. "And all I could do was nod! And so he pulled me into the middle of the dance floor and everyone started to watch us and before I knew it, everyone was cheering us on! Oh, and he was such a graceful dancer! He didn't step on my feet, not once! Then the music stopped and I pulled him into a hug and said yes, it was magical! I wish I could relive it."

Anne's face was painted with a warm smile but her heart felt heavy.

"I hope you and Gilbert have fun at the ball." Anne said.