Chapter Two: A Lovely Winter Morning

The walk to the Avonlea schoolhouse was least to say dreadful at this time of year. It was awfully freezing and the path was quite slippery but dear Anne Shirley has endured all these inconveniences because she is walking with her bosom friend, Diana. The pair were walking alongside each other, their arms linked as they made their way through the icy woods. The silence of the morning air was filled with the crunch of the snow at their boots and their gleeful chatter.

"Oh Anne, I cannot wait for the Winter's Ball! It happens only once every ten years! How lucky we are to be alive right now, don't you think?" Diana asked, grinning ear to ear.

Anne's smile fell a bit but tried not to show it. You see, Anne was not particularly fond of social gatherings considering what happened last time at the town's family picnic. The way she sees it, social gatherings are just grand opportunities for people to dress up and judge other people. Anne felt insecure enough as it is with her red hair and freckly complexion. Being the town orphan is a whole other thing. Going to the ball is just like setting herself up as bait. But who was she to be ruinous of her dearest friend's current source of joy? That would be awfully selfish of her, she thought. So she smiled and said, "I guess?"

Diana giggled which Anne was satisfied to hear. "I hear that you have to go with a pair. Ooh, I'm ever so anxious to go school today! The ball is tomorrow! What if no one asks me to go? What ever shall I do then? Oh I've been waiting for this my whole life, what if-"

"Compose yourself, Diana. I'm sure someone will ask you! A girl as lovely as you would have a line of boys so long that it reaches the next town! I mean, if a girl like you can't get a pair for the ball, then may the gods have mercy on me."

"Hush now, Anne! Don't be cruel to yourself. You are a very lovely girl as well and you have raised my spirits up. Any guy would be lucky to have you." Diana smiled , and Anne smiled back asking the heavens whatever it is she did to deserve such a wonderful friend as Diana.

"Good morning Diana." A familiar voice from behind said.

"Speaking of, " Diana smirked. Anne closed her eyes in annoyance and took a deep breath, bracing herself for the what's about to come.

Once Gilbert Blythe caught up with them, he walked alongside them and looked at Anne.
"Anne," He smiled, acknowledging her. Anne kept her gaze straight ahead but the foreign feeling of the fluttering that's in her stomach was in an uproar. This was an unusual feeling for Anne and she did not like it one bit. He said her name in such a sly, teasing tone and she couldn't help but think he was mocking her. But Gilbert Blythe, the boy who tries so hard just to be in range of her attention, only meant well.
"Lovely morning it is today, eh?" He asked, proudly holding his head up as he walked, both hands on the strap of his satchel that's slinged over his lean shoulder.
"Indeed it is." Diana Bary smiled.
"Indeed it was." Anne muttered under her breath and Gilbert glanced at her amused.
"So, Gilbert. Do you know who you're taking to the ball tomorrow night?" Diana teased, more to Anne than Gilbert.

Gilbert's lips twitched to a sly smile.
"I have one girl in mind, but she's awfully dfficult to woo." Anne, still silent, had her eyes set straight, her chin held up high but she could feel Gilbert's eyes on her. She paid no mind to it, convincing herself he was doing otherwise.

Suddenly, Gilbert's words from last night rang back in her head.

"Would you like to go with me?"

She quickly dismissed the thought.
Why, out of all the beauteous girls in the school, would the chivalrous Gilbert Blythe settle for plain Anne, she thought to herself.

Besides, they hated each other.
Or a least, she did. After that time he deliberately humiliated her in class, calling her 'carrots'! How dare he? My hair is not comparable to carrots! Anne thought. And I'll have you know,my hair is slowly turning to a rich auburn, thank you very much!
Anne felt guilty getting angry over something that happened ages ago. Besides, he apologized. So she silently calmed herself and focused on staying calm as they walked to school.

"I'm sorry to hear that. But I'm sure many girls will be falling at your feet, so you don't have to worry about that mystery girl. On the other note, Anne here is perfectly availa-" Before Diana could even finish her sentence, Anne's head snapped to her direction, eyes wide and her ears red of embarrassment.

Silence fell over them as they strolled, an amused Gilbert Blythe scratching the back of his neck.

"Well, I'll have you know that the accompaniment of a boy will not be necessary. I can go on my own if I wanted to. The presence of the opposite gender is not fundamental for me to have fun at some stupid ball. I can have fun, whether alone or not. I refuse to conform to society's patriarchal agendas!" Anne went on and on about not needing a man and being indepent, as both Gilbert and Diana found her overreaction humorous.
When they finally reached the school, they set their things down and hung their coats by the door.
"Thank you for walking with us Gilbert." Diana gracefully smiled.

"Pleasure was all mine." He smoothly replied looking over at Anne who only raised her brow at him. And as Diana hung her coat, Gilbert sent Anne a wink and went to his seat, leaving Anne with the confusing flutters in her stomach once more.

And she did not like it one bit.