Chapter 13: A place that anyone could call home

I wake up that next morning happy because I knew I had a person who really cared about me and would be with me. I know I had to hang on just a little longer because I think the end is near, Lately I’ve been hearing that the war is nearly over because the US is closing in on Germany. Today was quiet boring because the doctor had to go out to heal some of the soldiers who were injured during battle so today was a day to rest. When night came the doctor was covered in blood like he has been doing surgeries or something. I snuck out that night and met Anne at the bricks again I was so excited to see her again.

“Anne I’m so happy to see you again how are you?” I asked her very happily

“Well I’m happy to be here with you now but I don’t feel so good I didn’t get any sleep last night and I’ve been weak all week.” She said. This instantly got me worried about maybe she got sick. I held her close and just told her that it was bug that it would pass soon hopefully. We tell each other goodnight and again we kill under the moonlight hoping for a miracle to happen so we can get out of here for good. I was so Eger to see her again that I crawled real fastback to the table and fell asleep again so I could see her the next day. When I woke up I looked out the window and I saw a lot of people huddled around somebody I could not tell who it was due to the amount of people around the body.

“Boy get away from that window we got work to do.” The doc said. I go into instant fear because who knows what going to happen. He sat me down on the table and gave me an ultra dose of the gas and I went into frenzy because I was coughing and I was hurled up in a ball. There was no way that I was going to be able to move from where I was. I lied there in pain and in my own pile of blood from which I coughed up and then I slowly rolled off the table and onto the floor. I fell asleep for a few hours because I wanted the pain to stop then I woke up to the shack door slamming shut. The doctor came in with a body of a young girl and he sat her down on the operating table. I got up to go see whom it was and I could not believe my eyes. My heart went down through the ground and my sadness filled quickly. Tears rushed through my eyes like never before because the person that was lying on the table was Anne. She looks pale and her skin looked colorless. I grabbed her hand and held it for a while it was cold and lifeless, and then I kissed her one last night before the doctor came and took her away. I started beating myself up because I felt that it was my fault that she died knowing that she wasn’t feeling good. I felt like the last person who cared about me had gone away from me besides my brother but I don’t know where he is in this mess. I was going to run for the gate and try to escape again and I was going to let the guards shoot me that way I can see Anne in heaven. Right before I touched the doorknob all I heard was gunshots on the outside.

“What’s with all the noise boy what are you doing?” He asked. Then he walked up to the window and looked outside and saw what was happening. He pulled a pistol out of his pocket and ran outside. I hid beneath the bed trying to shield myself from the flying bullets until all of sudden I found my self airborne I’m flying through the air and I crashed in the ground. The shack was destroyed and I was in the middle of the bullet storm when I landed. I just lied there hoping that I would not get hit I would try and crawl to escape because I know Anne would want me to escape. I slowly got up to go run for the gate that was wide open and on the way while I was running I picked up a couple of kids on the ground. I was about to get the entrance of the gate when all of sudden I felt a sharp pain in the side of my head and I felt the blood dripping down on my hand. I had got shot in the head from somewhere and I was just mad at myself because I was so close. I turned around onto my stomach and I started crawling towards the gate. As I got closer my eyes kept getting more and more blurry and I felt my heart slowing down. I took shelter behind a jeep and I started writing like what I’m doing now. I think the escape people are talking about is death and I believe that now because even if I do escape what do I do? Where do I go? I don’t know. I was living for Anne but now she’s dead so who do I live for now? I’ve lost all hope for escape because I’m bleeding to death also coughing up blood and I have a feeling that there going to find me and try to save me. I got on my knees and I looked up into the sky and saw a clear blue sky with the sun beaming down on me and I looked back down out in front of me, but what I saw was US soldiers and medics running towards me. I thought to myself “Finally I’m saved after all this time.” I looked back up into the sky and I saw a really bright light and I saw Anne, Mom and Dad looking down on me. Anne came down and grabbed my hand and said come on come with me. She took me to the end of a tunnel from where the bright light was and I looked down and I saw my body down on the ground. I saw the soldiers grabbing me and I knew that it was out of there hands I knew that Anne had me. When I looked back up to see where we were going what I saw was amazing. I saw A place that anyone could call home.