Chapter 8: Too good to be true

As night came and day went away I just find myself stranded in the forest with no food or water, but most importantly no shelter. I start running through the woods trees passing every second until I came to a river about a mile away from the camp. I start drinking the water until my taste buds are good and refreshed.

“I’ve never had this much water in about seven months, but it’s so good I just want to drink the whole river.” Then I start to thing on how I’m going to get food and how am I going to cook it. I see a branch so I picked it up and just took it with me you never know when you’re going to need it. I started running again until I come to another house and I can see that the lights are on inside, but I hope these people help me I’m really hungry. I walked up to the house very slowly looking around making sure it’s safe to go when the door flies open and a man on the porch points a gun at my face.

“What are you doing around here boy you are not going to steal anything away from me?” he said very angrily I’m sitting here scared out of my mind I don’t know if I’m going to die or not.

“I’m sorry sir I’m just a Jewish boy from the concentration camp just about a mile away I’ve managed to escape I’m just really hungry.” I said while I’m terrified  

“Oh you poor thing come in here I will give you something to eat.” Said the man I was relieved when he said that it was like god saving me.

“Thank you sir this means a lot to me because I have went months without hardly any food.” I walked into his house it was so warm and comforting. He placed me at a table with forks, knifes, spoons, and cups. His house was two floors high with a living room, den, kitchen, dining room, and three bedrooms which were upstairs. When he came back he brought his wife so that he could introduce me to her.

“This is my wife Peggy and my name is John. I hope you like chicken because we have a big chicken we’ve been saving to eat.”

“Yea that sounds nice again I thank you two for what you are doing for me.” I said to them passionately. I sat at the table with him as his wife was bringing out the food. It looked like roasted chicken with green beans, corn, mashed potatoes, and spinach. They loaded my plate down with so much food and I just stuffed my face with everything. They looked at me with a puzzled face and they asked me a question that I knew I was going have to explain.

“So what were you doing out here in the cold winter weather?” he asked curiously. So I told them the whole story on how my family got caught and all the way up to how I got here. About an hour goes by and I finally finished my story and they seemed so surprised on what they were doing to us in these camps that they put us in.

“Oh my god that is so horrible to what they are doing to you and the rest of your people in those camps. I’m going to give you some clothes to take with you and I’m going to try and see if I can get the U.S to come over and get these camps to save you.” I was relieved when they said that it was the first time I’ve felt happy in a long time. They told me to wait in the living room while they went upstairs to go get something. They come back with clothes pants, shirts, socks, shoes, and a nice leather jacket.

“Here theses are yours to keep take good care of them. I’ll point you in the right path to go to get out of this country.” Said the couple while they gave me the clothes. I put on the clothes and we start to head out the door towards the forest. They gave me a flashlight and point me down a path that leads into the dark forest.

“Take this path it will lead you to the boarder and once you get there you should be home free.” They said and I look at them I start crying and I gave them both a hug. I waved goodbye to them and I departed from their house and down the path I went. I started down this narrow dark path at first it seemed like it went on forever until I came to a place in the path where it looked like it ended. I started freaking out because I did not know which way to go, but I decided to just camp here until the sun rises. I went to a nearby tree and grabbed some leaves and put them in the spot from where I wanted to lie down at. I went tried to go to sleep but it seemed like hours before I started getting tired. I woke up the next morning in the most agonizing pain I have ever felt, but I soon figured out that it was my hand again. I started to think to myself “Not my hand again what am I going to do?” I went to go walk and I heard a rattling noise coming from my pocket. I reached inside my pocket and pulled out a bottle with a note on it.