Chapter 11: The Girl In The Strips

I Sit here waiting for the doctor to come back with the gas that he wants me to breath in, when I hear another truck pull up into the camp. I stand up to go look out the window and I saw even more people than before get off this truck and there was more boys than girls on this truck. I saw one girl who was huddling with her sister or something but they walked together but did not let each other go. They both wore black and white striped pants and shirt and one had glasses one did not, one had black hair one had brown hair. They both looked so scared when they got off the truck, but then they got put into their little groups into sections of the camp. I’m going to go talk to them when I get a chance to but I got to wait for the doctor to get back.

“Get over here boy time for you to breath it in, and I want to see how you react to breathing in this mysterious gas.” He said with a creepy face. I sat up on the table where he had a tank sitting beside me. He gave me a mask looking thing and he told me to put it on and so I did I started  breathing in the gas.

“How does it feel boy to be breathing in the gas that will kill you?” he asked.

“Well right now I’m not feeling anything just a bitter taste from the gas. He took away the mask I had on and he put it up in a locked cabinet.

“You are going to breath in the gas a little more each day because I want to see how fast you deteriorate inside from the gas.” He said to me while putting his keys up. At first I felt fine like there was nothing to it and then all of a sudden it hit me. The pain in my chest a burning kind of pain I had felt. I start coughing a lot more and more each minute then I start coughing up blood on the floor. It felt like I was breathing through a straw I had no air what so ever. After a few minutes of this I returned to normal for the mean time. The doctor had disappeared into some room in the shack so I felt like I could walk outside. I went out the back way of the shack so I could sneak around to the girl I wanted to talk to. When I got outside there was a slight breeze hitting me in the face, so I took a deep breath from which I need because of the gas taking all my air away. I started walking towards the side of the shack when I saw the officers hitting the people with guns because they were not working as fast as they wanted to. I snuck up and hid behind a pile of bricks that they had moved yesterday and I waited for the officer to walk the other way.

“Get back to work we don’t have all day.” The officer said then he slowly walked into a little house which contained the rest of the officers. I saw this as an opportunity to go bring the girl to the pile of bricks and just talk for a while hopefully not get caught. I slowly sneaked over to her I tapped her on the shoulder and she turned around.

“Yes?” she said in the most softening voice.

“Hello my name is Josh come back here I want to talk to you.” I said to her in a friendly voice and so she followed me behind the pile of bricks. “May I ask what you’re name is?”

“My name is Anne Frank I’m here with my sisters Margot Frank. My sister and I got separated from out mom and dad they  are at some place different.” She said

“Oh well it’s nice to meet you and I’m so sorry that you all got separated.” I said and I gave her a hug.

“It’s ok I’m going to try and get out of here so we can meet up again after this horrible tragedy ends.” Anne said. She looked like she was going to cry because she missed her parents so much.

“Well I wanted you to know that hopefully we will get out and I’m here to talk if you need me. Oh hey I got to go the guards will be back I don’t want you getting caught, so do you want to meet back here tonight while everyone is sleeping?” I asked her very friendly.

“Yeah I’ll be back when the sun goes down and as night comes, but when the moon his high come back.” She walked back to her spot in the working line and I made my way back to the shack from where I was supposed to be. I get back there slowly so that I don’t raise any suspicion then I go through the and just sit down on the table. All I can do now is just wait and hope that the doctor won’t do anything else that will cause me to be late. The sun was still up when I got back it seemed so long before it was going to go down, and then I thought about it and come to think I’m actually excited to go see her. I haven’t seen the doctor yet which it kind of scares me because I mean if I don’t see mean it usually means that he’s either one planning something or two he’s getting something prepared to try on me. I sit their patiently waiting for the sun to go down and it seems like forever, and so I thought it would never go down. The sun slowly began to lower and I see the sun set in the sky so beautiful. Then darkness soon fell and I sat their waiting for the perfect time to make my move kind of like a ninja waiting for the right moment to strike. I seen the doctor pass me by and he looked like he knew something but I’m not for sure what, but it was just a little creepy at times.

“Good night boy I’ll see you in the morning.” He said.

“Oh good night to you to doctor see you tomorrow.” I said to him very impatiently. He made his way to his room and he closed the door and I heard him climb into bed. I made my way to the door and I slowly eased it open then I walked out real quietly. As soon as I closed the door it seemed like home free I could make it, but then I saw guards up into some towers which now I got to be more careful. Also the guards have the lights shining down on the ground so if anything runs by they can see it, so which means I got to wait for it to pass so I can start running. I’m sitting there looking at these lights go by and I start to recall back before all this we used to play hide and seek in the dark with flash lights, and boy it was fun. We would hide in the woods or behind something and the seeker got to use a flashlight to help them find us. I remember one time I was the seeker and I was alone and it was really dark and quiet. I walked around for hours until I finally found my brother lying in some place real easy. This is different I’m actually hiding for my life, and I might die if they see me or I will just be thrown back at the shack. I waited for the light to pass and I took off running as fast as I could so I could hide behind something. I stopped running and I sat behind a big pile of bricks so I could catch my breath when I heard footsteps. They kept getting louder and louder so I thought they found me so I just closed my eyes and just waiting for them to grab me. All of a sudden I felt arms go around me like someone was trying to hug me so I opened my eyes and I was happy to see her.

“Hi I see you made it back Josh!” she said. I let out a breath of relief and I just threw my arms around her hugging her back.

“Yes I did and I see you did to and I’m happy that you didn’t get caught.” I said impatiently

“Well it wasn’t easy we had guards guarding the place around so one of them went to go use the bathroom and that’s when I snuck out.” She said. I sat their listening to what she was saying she was explaining how she got out and she got here. All I could think about was she was here with me and I was so excited to see her and be next to her. I got a feeling of happiness in my chest where my heart is and I liked this feeling I wanted it to stay.

“Are you here by yourself? Do you have family here as well?” she said. I just got a feeling that I wanted to die because I had forgot mom died of a sickness and dad committed suicide.

“Well I’m here with my brother Jason he’s somewhere around here and as for my mom she died here from getting sick. Then a day after she died my dad took a guards gun and killed himself because he was so sad over mom’s death.” I said as tears were running down my face.

“Oh my goodness I’m so sorry that happened to you, well I’m here for you if you need to talk to anyone.” She said

“Thank you so much I don’t have anyone here that I could talk to but now I do and same for you.” I said happily. Then we sat their talking for what it seemed like hours but really it was only like thirty minutes. We were both asking each other questions so we could get to know each other and stuff like that. We both were similar in almost every way she was in hiding for two years and so was I. We both liked the same things and enjoyed doing the same things. For once in my life I actually like a girl and I hope that if we get out of here we can be together. After a while we started asking each other personal questions and then we heard some guards coming our way, maybe they heard us I’m not quiet for sure yet.

“We better split before we get caught and then maybe killed so I’ll talk to you tomorrow is that alright?” I asked her happily

“Yes I would like that very much but see you later.” She said then she ran off in the dark. I watched her run in the dark back towards her tent. I was happy just to see her be here with me tonight I hope we can do this every day. I didn’t want to leave her but I have to because the guards were coming. While on my way back I pass at least three guards I barley slipped away, and then when I got to the shack I slowly opened the door so I could go back in. I then layed down on the table and put my head down on the cold part. I wanted to go to sleep but I could not due to my excitement of seeing Ann again the next day. When I lied there I could not help but think “What will I say to her when I see her again? Will I get to see here again? As night time slowly began to end and the sun began to rise I soon realized I did not get any sleep. I could not help not sleeping because I was so excited to see Ann again tomorrow but the real question was how long will I get to see her until something happens. At this point I did not care what the consequences are I just want to see her and spend as much time as possible with her as I could.