Chapter Five : Bowling

I never quite got the hang of fitting in. And dressing the right way, was a big part. It was already Thursday and Shawn told me that the big wedding for our project would be this Sunday. I was told I needed to find something to wear to the event that would look nice. I stood, slumpily facing my closet with a blank slate. There were too many green, yellow, blue, purple, orange, black, white, up, down, over, under, sideways dresses for me to count.

I needed to get out of here. I put on my black tee with my long button up, long sleeved, oversized cardigan that went about to my upper thigh. I put on my black and white infinity scarf that matched with my black leggings and doc martins. I grabbed my phone and my wallet and locked the door to the condo before I stepped out into the cooler air.

****

I walked around the downtown with a sort of relief to be out of the torture room and in the fresh air. I walked into a small adorable coffee and tea shop. When I walked inside, the warm red wood and scent of freshly baked cookies made me never want to leave. The store was fairly busy. Older adults sat outside at small tables sipping their coffee reading the paper. The young couples sat inside flirting and talking about different types of jazz music. I walked up and ordered a grande green tea and a chocolate chip cookie and waited on a lounge couch by the window for my order.

As they called my name to get my order I walked up to get my drink and snack. Once I turned around I suddenly bumped right into a tall body almost causing me to land right on my ass.

All eyes were on me when I spoke, "I'm so sorry, I wasn't looking where I was going and I-" I suddenly lifted my head and there in front of me were two very familiar boys. "Shawn?" he sheepishly smiled as his cheeks went a light shade of pink. "Cameron?" I saw him fix his coat and hair before giving me his signature smile.

"Jolene?" Shawn spoke, "What are you doing here?"

"Just getting some tea and a snack for myself," I showed them my order.

"Wow funny running into you here, we were out at lacrosse and decided to come here after practice," Cameron spoke up.

"Yeah that's so weird," I agreed, "Well I'll let you guys get your order, it was nice seeing you though," I smiled as I started to walk out of the store.

"Wait," the two boys called out simultaneously. My head whipped around to them again.

"You should stick around," Cam offered.

"Yeah we were thinking of going bowling after this, you should come," Shawn finished.

"Well sure, I mean if I'm not a bother.." I responded to the both of them.

"We'd love to have you," Shawn said sweetly as he put his arm around my shoulder leading my down to the spot I was sitting at before. Shawn sat next to

me and we started to talk while Cameron got himself and Shawn their coffee.

"So how do you like America so far?" I asked taking a bite of my still slightly warm cookie.

Shawn unzipped his hoodie to reveal a red and blue flannel underneath, "Great! I mean this one girl in my Psychology class was giving me a hard time for a while but I think she's starting to come around," he winked at me.

"Why on earth would she do that? who is she?" I gave a fake dramatic tone to my question.

"Well, she is deviously clever and smart. Not to mention adorable when she gets cookie crumbs stuck in her scarf," Shawn then pointed down to my scarf which was in fact drizzled with tiny annoying crumbs. I brushed them off feeling a slight shade of pink rush onto my cheeks as Shawn and I both laughed at my mistake.