Chapter One : Introducing Jolene Aarons

The rustling of dry oak leaves rattled between my window that overlooked the raging city below me. It seemed a little ironic to me because I always thought of trees being so scarce in the steel jungle of Chicago. I raised my head to see a blinding sunrise pierce my eyes like it had done to me every morning before. My white sheets toppled over my bare olive legs sending short goosebumps up and down my arms. I raised the covers over my head before sitting up in my bed. I looked around my room, tiny white speckled tumblr lights scattered the top rim of my cream walls showing off my giant floor-to-ceiling crystal windows. I blinked again, staring at my pretty skyline view of the city and shuffled my way to the other side of my room. Friday...thank god I thought to myself.My large t-shirt had slouched all the way to my upper thighs, hardly showing that I was wearing shorts underneath. I opened my bedroom door which emidietly lead to a tumbling spiral staircase down to a large family room.

"Mom?" I called while walking into a empty kitchen. She was never home now anyways, the morning news wouldn't start without her. I opened the fridge reaching for bread, eggs, and other ingredients to make my breakfast.

I flashed on our plasma T.V. and right away, I saw my mom smiling brightly back at me.

"Good morning Chicago," her and some other co-workers spoke in unison. I curled down on the couch finishing my french toast in hopes I wouldn't be too late for the train.

I ran back upstairs and opened the door to my bathroom which was cluttered with random necessities like, blow dryers, body lotion, and empty shampoo and toothpaste bottles. I pulled out my messy bun and let my hair topple over my shoulders as I applied some eyeliner and mascara. I moved over to my even larger closet and ran my hand over the million clothes I had. However, instead of choosing one of the many designer outfits my mom had begged to buy for me, I put on my old uniform, white collared long sleeved shirt, tie, short plaid skirt, knee high navy socks, and my sperry's. After a quick change I ran downstairs remembering to grab my old backpack on the way out of the condo.

* * * * *

I guess I never felt really popular at my school. Riverside Academy was a very well known private school in Chicago where everyone dressed in uniforms, had 'classes', and came from mostly rich families. Besides that, I tried to consider my school normal. Many 'Popular' people in my school, were models, genius', or came from famous families. People considered my best friend Molly to be all three. Her short blonde hair swooped and swayed over the tops of her shoulders, fluffed and bouncy. Her outfits were always pretty and girly, always wearing bright yellow sundresses with tan sued shoes matching tiny laced socks. Her makeup always looking pretty and natural around her babydoll face and hazel eyes. Overall, Molly was gorgeous. She had earned her title of Popular, Pretty, and Perfect after word got out that she was one of the long lost descendants of Coco Cannel. I had asked her once if the rumor was true but I had never gotten a clear answer. Even though I was a nobody and I wasn't at all popular at Riverside, Molly did say I seemed to be sort of well known in school. Even though people always saw us together, they didn't even bother recognizing me as soon as they saw Molly. But it never bothered me much, my days went on as usual and in the end it didn't matter to me.

Unlike Molly, I was fairly ordinary. I had medium to long Carmel brown hair with tiny hints of highlights, emerald green eyes, and a thin regular olive body. My mom had been on the Good Morning Chicago news for god knows how long. I just knew she loved her job, sometimes I felt she loved it more than me. But who am I kidding, my mom always tried to take care of me since there was no one else who could. My mom said that my father was in the army and I don't think I've ever seen him before. But my mom always got me food for me to feed myself, hired a personal shopper to get me the clothes she wanted me to wear, and all she asked for in return was good grades (which I gave). I was always pushed by her, however, to go into modeling. Apparently she used to be a junior model when I was her age and she said I look 10x better than when she did. She's always leaving pamphlets under my door for companies she likes and doesn't shut up when someone mentions modeling to me. She was a hassle but I carried on anyways.

* * * * *

During my 9th period class, people who I hardly knew, started to flourish me with questions for our upcoming test. I tried to answer all as politely as I could while trying to span out the quadratic formula on the math problems I was working on, when I heard a louder voice speak up.

"Hey Josephine," I looked up to see a incredibly handsome face staring down at me. He had bright brown eyes, longish dark brown hair that was cut shortly in the back and swooped out over his forehead. His sleeves to his white uniform shirt rolled up to he elbows as his tie was slightly undone. Cameron Dallas. Everybody knew Cameron Dallas, the most popular boy at Riverside Academy...talking to me...I know that any girl would be smart enough to freak out about now. His strong build pulled up a chair from a girl who was actually sitting in it, but once she saw who took it, but even as she tripped, it didn't matter to her she if she had fell down and shattered her femur from him. He was very tall, about 6'3ish. Cameron was captain of the lacrosse team at Riverside, and ever since joining the team, we haven't lost a game yet. Most of the girls say its because the other team gets too distracted by his amazing good looks.

He flashed me his signature white smile as he sat close to me...very close. I stuttered only slightly when I tried to speak up, "Its Jolene, actually,"

He put an apologizing hand on his chest, "Sorry, Jolene," his eyes flashed from apology to smile within seconds, "I was just talking to the guys the other day..." Cameron shifted his view to point out all of his other friends talking at a cluster of desks, carefully watching our reactions.

I could see Nash Grier, who was a lady killer with his obvious blue eyes and southern background. Mathew Espinosa, who was considered to be the class clown funny guy people loved. Aaron Carpenter, who was considered to be the nice guy and sweetheart of the bunch. Carter Reynolds, the go-with-the-flow chill guy. And Jack & Jack the two inseparable best friends and trouble makers.

"What?" I questioned, trying not to get too locked into his eyes.

Cameron ran his fingers through his hair effortlessly and I could tell he seemed slightly nervous, "Well, we were just wondering if you-"

The anticipation was killing me. If I what?

"-If your friend Molly was seeing anyone" Cameron finished with a breath of relief.

I collapsed. Molly...of course.. I thought to myself. Why on earth would you need to talk to me?

But I swallowed my sigh and continued, "Yeah um, I don't think shes seeing anyone specific now-"

"Really?" Cameron asked perking up slightly at the idea of Molly, the most popular girl in school, single.

I shrugged, "Well yeah I mean you'll have to ask if you-"

"Thank you so much Johanna," Cameron looked me in eyes with joy cupping my hands under his own, "I owe you big," And with that, he trotted off.

"It's Jolene..." I called quietly after him but he had already left.

I could hear his quite but expressive voice announce, "She's single guys!" Several of his friends gave out fist pumps and laughed.

* * * * *

"They were really talking about me?" Molly asked the in front of the bathroom mirror on the way to lunch. She had fluffed her short bouncy hair and fixed her uniform.

"All class period," I tapped my fingers on the sink.

Molly's eyes widened, "Wow...Cameron Dallas huh?"

"Yup," I said popping the p. I didn't know why it was such a surprise for Molly, this kind of stuff happens all the time with her. Anonymous love letters, perfect poems, I think one Valentines Day, flowers were sent to her during our French class. Molly was like an idol, and yet, I was still hidden.

"They should have had a decent conversation with you without having to bring me up J," Molly called my nickname while we exited the now crowded ladies room, "It sounded sort of rude of them,"

And as much as people would think that I hated Molly for overshadowing me, I couldn't. Molly had always stuck up for me if I was right or wrong, "No, I couldn't have not said anything or ignored them, it would be rude,"

"Well I still think that it would have been nice of them to acknowledge you like I do," Molly swung her arm around my shoulder striding us both down the hallway.

I laughed as we moved in sync, "Ill survive Moll," And it was true. I would survive, I had already done it for 10 years.