11) By any other name

Vera's mum didn't want to let go, that much was obvious. She had hugged Matt too – asking him if he still hadn't minded hugs first – and the embrace had been warmer and lasted longer than their first one. Vera would swear her mum had also told him something, too quietly for Vera's ears though.

And then she hugged Vera, who was not crying of course.

"Promise you'll take care of yourself," her mum whispered to her hair for the millionth time and Vera obediently nodded for the millionth time too.

"Promise me the same."

Her mum squeezed her so tight Vera wondered if some of her bones broke with the force.

"Please. We have Brett now, he'll look out for us."

"He's a terrible watchdog, mum. He didn't even get up when we came home from the wedding," Vera deadpanned, not realizing her mum only teased her.

"I know he's terrible. I really like him."

Vera laughed, more tears escaping her eyes. She leaned to her mums embrace once more, before freeing herself. "I love you, mum."

"I love you too. He might have you for himself in New York, but you're my babygirl. Always."

Vera smiled at her mum, kissing her cheek and patted Brett on his head – he responded with an enthusiastic bark. Yeah, her parents were going to be alright. She was worried about them, leaving them alone again, but they would be fine. They had Brett now, Petr would be still visiting often enough and Vera would be calling regularly. She sighed and got in the car, her dad behind the wheel.

"Ready?" he asked and Vera sighed again, wiping her cheeks dry. Matt took her free hand.

"Yeah."

Vera's dad was a little more reserved when it came to emotions, but when Vera and Matt got out of the car two towns over – because the connection was terrible, the only bus from Trutnov to Prague leaving at four a.m., which no, thank you very much – , he did as well and hugged Vera shortly, with surprising force. He didn't hug Matt, but he shook his hand, covering the back of Matt's hand with his other palm when doing it.

"You're a good guy, Matt. Keep going like this. It was nice to meet you."

Vera, who finally stopped crying and managed not to start again when hugging her father, became a mess once again, translating with her voice shaking.

"Thank you, sir."

"Daniel."

Vera went to a cardiac arrest, simultaneously ready to cry herself to death. Goddammit, dad. She was very impressed.

"Thank you, Daniel."

---

The journey to Prague was relatively short, no stops, and for Vera, it was a literal blur, because she was mostly crying – every time she managed to get a hold of her emotions, calming down, she lasted like ten minutes and lost it again. Matt was patiently offering his shoulder, comforting words with a edge of guilt in his voice.

They were just about to get off the bus when she finally convinced herself that what was enough was enough and focused on the day that was ahead of them. They were meeting up with Petr and were about to show Matt a little bit of the capital of Czechia. Some of the remarkable places were kinda wasted on him, it wasn't like he would enjoy the view from Hradčany, the whole city, 'hundreds of towers' on his palm, but there was no reason for not taking him to saint Vít's cathedral for example.