8) The land of forbidden thoughts

"I'm glad I've learned few Czech words."

Vera, completely relaxed and ridiculously content in Matt's arms, tensed. They had been dancing for a while, three or four slow songs, alternating rumba with slow dancing or simply swaying. Vera hadn't been thinking – she only had let the music consume her, happy in the company of the man she loved, surrounded by her friends, warm all around her. They didn't speak, neither her nor Matt, so it took her by surprise when he did, especially since he said such strange words.

"What do you mean?" she whispered back, not bothering to raise her head from his shoulder.

She thought she heard smile in his voice. "They are talking about you a lot."

"...are not," she protested, hoping she was right.

"They have. When we've been dancing. Some of them still are," he opposed and Vera felt his muscles shift as he tilted his head. This time, she knew for sure he was smiling. "Beautiful. Lovely. I heard those a lot. The two women in the corner, behind my back, my left. They are... I'm not sure what they are saying. Uhm. 'Sekne jim to'?"

Vera let out surprised chuckle, her eyes darting to the corner Matt was talking about – there were indeed two women, perhaps around thirty, watching them. The moment Vera looked at them, they looked away. Busted.

"Huh. Is that what they really said?" Vera wondered, retreating a little so she could face Matt.

He shrugged. "It sounded like that. Why? Is it bad? I think one of them sounded a little jealous?"

"Well, they do have every right to envy me. But they said we looked good together."

"Oh." Matt smiled, kissing her forehead. "I can't tell by myself, but I guess they would know. And don't make assumptions; people envy me too. I have you." Then he frowned. "What does 'k sežrání' mean?"

Vera almost choked on her own spit. "Who the heck said that?!"

"Not sure which one of them. But she must have been talking about me, because she said 'blind' as well," Matt explained.

Vera huffed, shooting the two women a murderous look. Nope, she would not be the girl to openly touch Matt's butt or stuff like that just to mark her territory, but she could kill with her glare at least.

"I suppose it was something offensive..." Matt muttered. "Forget it. I'll stop."

"Sure. If you consider her saying she could 'eat you' offensive," Vera deadpanned and Matt's eyebrow shot up so high it almost touched his hairline. He also seemed a little confused and embarrassed. He gathered himself quickly though.

"Wow, she has no shame, does she?"

"Apparently. I have no idea who she is. It doesn't matter."

It didn't. However, Vera still couldn't help a sting of jealousy. Which was stupid. So what, some women were checking him out, ogling. As long as they didn't act on it, she didn't have to give a shit. And even if they would, Matt wouldn't let them-

His hum broke her train of thoughts, his hand appearing on her cheek. Vera only had a chance to blink before his lips met hers. She gasped to his mouth, letting him in unintentionally, but she caught up fast. She didn't need to prove anything to anyone. Nevertheless, an offer like this couldn't be ignored. She claimed his upper lip, feeling him smile at her reaction. His arm pulled her a little closer.

"Are you trying to prove a point here?" Vera breathed when he slightly withdrew, giving them both room to get some air. Speaking of air...

"Maybe. Or maybe I just really wanted to kiss you."