1) To lead and to be led

Significantly later

He was like a cat; fluid movements, silent light steps, elegance and something dangerously hypnotizing. And yes, in that analogy, she was a mouse. And the cat just got bored with their little game, so he sent her to the ground - with yet another move he never bothered to share. How many of these existed? He always surprised her with something new.

Matt pinned her down to the mattress. Vera was too exhausted to fight her way out of it. And judging by the smug smile he wore, he was well aware.

"This is getting really old, you know?" she murmured, trying not to give in to the temptation to kiss his lips when they were so close. It didn't matter how annoyed she was. This worked on her. Every. Single. Time.

He shrugged. "Maybe I just like being on top of you."

Vera snorted and rolled her eyes. "As far as I know..."

Finding the rest of determination to do anything, she jerked and kicked out, rolling them over. She knew he let her. She wouldn't make him move if he didn't. Then again, she didn't try as hard as she could, because she didn't want to hurt him.

"...You like girl on top as well," she finished and his smile grew wider as she brought her lips to his, connecting them in not exactly innocent kiss.

"Truth." He rolled them back over the second their lips parted. "You're getting better."

"Are we talking about fighting or my witty answers?"

"I'm talking about fighting. But the other thing too," he confirmed with a laugh, his eyes twinkling. She loved that sight. Sure, there were many, many sides of him, but happy Matt? Carefree Matt, with special light in his eyes, wrinkles around them as he was smiling widely? Her heart would melt.

"I have a very good teacher for both." It was her turn to shrug and he licked his lips, something in his expression transforming. He hesitated.

"Would you... would you teach me?" he asked carefully, making her raise her eyebrow in surprise. Teach him?

"Teach you what? There is literally nothing I could teach you, Matt. If you're talking about fit-boxing, then you should know you already got the moves." She closed her mouth shut when she realized how that sounded. Well, he did have various kinds of moves. He was pretty much master at all of them. So good.

Matt either didn't catch the unintended joke or he decided to ignore it for whatever more pressing issue he had. Pressing issue. Jeeeez, Veronika, way to go with those double entendre. One would think you're not getting enough. She was getting enough.

"I... I'm talking about... dancing," he whispered, tentative, as if it was the darkest secret. Her eyes went wide, mouth falling agape. Come again? "At the benefit, we were... well, swinging at best. But now when you allowed me to accompany you to a wedding-"

"I didn't allow you to go. I asked you to come with me," she corrected him, trying to cover her awe and he pressed his lips together impatiently. It had to take a lot of his ego to ask her to be his mentor. Of anything. Matt was the prodigy around here, he was better at everything. "Sorry, go on."

"And if you would be willing, I would like to learn at least one dance. One dance in which I would be able to keep up with you. At least a little. Please?"

Something resembling fear was in his eyes, fear of rejection as if he was asking her to let him thrust splints of wood under her fingernails. As if he wasn't making her dreams come true. At this point, she was pretty sure her heart did melt.