6) Revelations

The moment they stepped into the house, they got attacked by Brett. Vera couldn't suppress her smile. She was not over the fact their black dog was named Brett, ever. She had gotten various responses to her instant messages from her friends, but mostly they had been something along the lines 'lol' and 'you're shitting me'. Brett hadn't answered. Yet.

"Brett, down!" her mum yelped as his paws went on Vera's jeans, but the dog didn't care in the slightest, his tail wildly swinging and Vera would swear the puppy was smiling when she scratched his ears.

"Hi, pup. Hey, mum."

"I don't know if you ate, but I defrosted the wedding minces from Marky. If you want."

"Oh, thanks."

"Corner mince is there too," her mum prodded and Vera's eyes went wide, shooting her a look or horror, resisting the urge to shake her head violently. Perfect. When it wasn't the bouquet tossing, another brilliant tradition was there to scare Matt. Who invented this stuff anyway?!

"Thank you, Mrs .Machackova," Matt noted politely, giving her mum a smile, even though he had obviously no idea what she was talking about. Her mum smiled back brightly, not even admonishing him for addressing her wrong. Vera rolled her eyes.

"We ate a little something. Thanks, mum."

"So there a little space for the mince, huh?"

"Mum, he doesn't know the tradition. Please don't scare him. He might run away."

"I picked up something about a tradition...?" Matt asked hesitantly and Vera cursed mentally.

"Oh, yeah. It's the corner mince. When two people who are in love – not married, though – are invited to a wedding, the corner mince is added to the invitation. They should share that one," her mum explained easily and Vera made a face, warning her not to go further.

Matt looked at Vera, puzzled by her sentiment. "So you're just being greedy? Is it that good?" he teased her lightly and Vera sighed.

"Nope. What mum didn't say was that it should be eaten under a table. I— I don't want to make you crawl under a table, Matt. It's not that I mind sharing."

"Sharing is caring..." he hummed, sensing she was keeping something else from him, not sharing. Smart-ass. He shrugged. "I don't mind crawling under the table."

"See? You're overthinking things."

Her mum didn't explain the point of tradition though. Vera was incredibly grateful.

"What else is new..." Vera muttered under her breath. "You know that I might end up sharing it with Brett if you don't hold him during this ridiculous tradition, right?"

It was ridiculous. Vera had already been to one wedding, she already had shared one corner mince and she hadn't gotten married soon – as a matter of fact, a year later she had ended things with David. Lucky charm, wasn't it?

"It sounds cute," Matt noted, feeling the chair, moving it away so he could creep under the table. Vera looked up to the ceiling, shaking her head. Why was everyone insisting on ruining her relationship? Including Matt?

As expected, Brett followed Matt, thinking it was some kind of a new game. Vera's mum called him away, keeping him on place.

"I'm waiting, miss Machackova." Matt grinned and Vera chuckled, taking the stupid mince with her.

"Are you gonna tell me?" he challenged her in low voice as she crawled next to him and she just shook her head. She broke the mince in half. "I'll find out anyway, you know."