22. Must be Stress

It had been a few days since Lindir had taken his younger brother, Meludir, to Greenwood. Over the past few years, the Greenwood had become sick, and Thranduil needed more soldiers to defend his borders. Meludir had announced that he was going to go to Mirkwood, as the Greenwood of old was now called, and help the elves King.

Cadhradriel missed her husband dearly. She would often be seen watching the entrance to Rivendell from the balcony of their shared chambers. Today was no different, but in a way it was. The sudden feeling of nausea overcame the Elleth. She raced back into her room, and emptied her stomach.

"That's odd," she thought as she sat back on her heels. "I haven't eaten anything. How am I sick?"  Cadhradriel simply thought it was stress. Her husband was gone, her duties had been getting more stressful, and she hadn't been able to go to the training grounds to let off some steam. "That must be it. I'm going to head down there and relieve some of this stress."

oOo

Cadhradriel grunted as her sword hit the training dummy. She did feel a little better as far as stress went, but physically she didn't. She drew her dagger out of her boot, and threw it at the dummy's head. Bullseye. Even if she didn't feel physically well, she found comfort knowing she could still defend herself.

A wave of nausea caused her to stop and grasp the bark of a tree. Fortunately, Sarthanir was passing by when he saw his sister in distress. He ran over to her as quickly as he could, grasping her arms.

He brushed the loose strands of hair out of her face, looking into her blue eyes with his own. "Cad, what is it? What's wrong?"

His sister didn't respond right away. About thirty seconds later, she answered. "I'm fine, little brother. I just got dizzy for a moment."

The blonde elf raised an eyebrow. "At least let me escort you back to your chambers?"

His older sister smiled. "I would like that."

oOo

It had been a few days since the incident on the training grounds, and the nausea hadn't passed. Sarthanir had been asked to keep this a secret from their parents, which he did, but now he was worried.

The Ellon knocked on his parents' study. When he heard his father's voice, he opened the door. Daelarien smiled seeing her son. "Sarthanir, what brings you here?"

Sarthanir smiled slightly, and looked around the study. The shared study was filled with books and maps of Middle Earth. A tapestry of Gondolin hung on one of the four walls, and a harp in one corner. The study was in need of a good cleaning and organising.

"It's Cad," he began. "I think she's sick."

Glorfindel and Daelarien shared a concerned look. "She begged me not to mention it to either of you, but that was a few days ago."

Daelarien's face grew even more worried. "Has she been to Alathleth?"

The young Ellon shook his head. "I'm not sure. She thinks it's stress."

Glorfindel nodded. "Perhaps. Melamin, would you talk to her. Elleth to Elleth?"

Daelarien sighed and agreed. "For our daughter, I would do anything."

oOo

Cadhradriel was reading a book when her mother approached her. The Elleth smiled and stood up to hug her mother. "Nana, I didn't know you were going to visit. I would've been better prepared."

Daelarien laughed. "Cad, it's no problem. I am here on a more personal matter."

Cadhradriel looked to her mother confused as they walked out onto the balcony. The two elves sat on one of the stone benches. "Is something wrong?"

"Well, your brother came to your Ada and I earlier today. He's concerned for you. I'm just here to clear things up."

Cadhradriel groaned. "He never could keep a secret."

Daelarien gave her daughter a warning look. "Cad, watch your tone. You know that if the roles were reversed, you would do that same for him."

The said Elleth nodded. "I know. I just, I think it's stress from everything going on."

"Have you gone to see Alathleth?"

"No."

"Cad, go to the healer. She will probably give you something to help."

Sighing in defeat, the Elleth agreed to go to the healer.

oOo

Daelarien sat outside the examination room, her hands fidgeting in her lap. She had a feeling she knew what was wrong with her daughter, but she wanted a second opinion after hearing the symptoms.

Glorfindel sat down next to his wife. "I have a feeling you may know what ails our daughter."

The brunette elf looked to her husband. "I think I do, but I want a second opinion."

Glorfindel smiled and kissed her forehead. He wrapped an arm around her waist, and leaned his head against hers. The next half hour seemed like centuries for the elves. Sarthanir had joined his parents outside the room. "Any word?" Glorfindel shook his head just as the doors opened.

Cadhradriel stood in the threshold, a grin on her face. That was all they needed to know. Daelarien screamed and hugged her daughter tightly, Glorfindel started crying, and Sarthanir just stared at his family.

"WHY ARE YOU ALL SO EXCITED?! SHE IS PROBABLY DYING," he yelled, completely oblivious.

Cadhradriel laughed, tears brimming in her eyes. "I'm not dying, little brother. I promise."

Sarthanir folded his arms across his chest. "Then what's wrong with you?"

"I'm pregnant. You're going to be an uncle!"

The blonde elf laughed and hugged his sister tightly. "Congratulations!"

"Congratulations on what," a voice asked from the entry to the healing wing. Lindir had heard his wife was in the healing wing, and came as quickly as he could.

The last thing he heard was that he was going going to be a father, before passing out.