8. News

When Cadhradriel awoke, she realized that she was still in Thranduil's chambers. She quickly removed herself from his grip, and threw the covers off.

Thranduil stirred feeling the movement. He opened an eye to see that Cadhradriel was getting ready to leave.

"What're you doing?"

The Elleth jumped hearing his deep voice. "I need to go. I can't be seen coming from your chambers in the early morning."

Thranduil nodded. No need to start a rumor. "All right. Meet me at the training camp at noon."

Cadhradriel smiled at him. "I'll be there."

Once she exited the doors, Thranduil leaned back on his pillows with a big grin on his face. He had fallen for his best friend, and he thought she would make a wonderful queen. He just hoped that she felt the same way.

oOo

Cadhradriel entered her room, and leaned back against the door with a grin on her face. Centuries ago, she would've found Thranduil to be so annoying and cocky, but ever since the Last Alliance, things were different between them.

She changed into a royal blue dress, and went to find her father and brother. The dark haired elf rounded a corner, and bumped into someone.

"Oh Lindir! I'm so sorry!"

The Ellon blushed, wiping his tunic off. "No need to be sorry. I'm afraid I wasn't looking where I was going."

Cadhradriel smiled. "It is a lovely day isn't it?"

Lindir nodded. "It is," he paused for a moment. "How're you feeling my lady?"

"Much better thank you. Your music is beautiful."

Lindir's cheeks blushed a deeper Crimson. "Thank you, my lady. It was an honor to play for such a beautiful Elleth. Especially one who showed immense courage."

Cadhradriel gave him a slight smile. The pair chatted for a few more minutes, before the sounds of arriving horses interrupted their conversation.

oOo

Erestor could be heard speaking with the new arrivals in the courtyard. Lindir and Cadhradriel made their way to one of the entryways to see who was there.

Cadhradriel paled when she saw the banners of the Greenwood. Oropher had been killed in battle, and Thranduil had become their king. She sighed heavily. Of course, they had come to retrieve their king.

The Elleth excused herself from Lindir's company. Lindir's eyes followed her as she made her way back to the personal quarters.

oOo

Thranduil was strapping his gauntlet to his forearm, when a knock sounded from the outside of his door.

He set the gauntlet down on a table, and answered the door. He smiled seeing Cadhradriel on the other side.

The Elleth looked sad as she moved into the room, not caring if anyone saw her.

"Are you okay? What's wrong?"

"Greenwood elves are here. They've come to take you home."

Thranduil sighed. He knew he would have to go back eventually, but not so soon. He was still recovering from the war.

"I will go see why they have come here. I will be back as soon as I can," he said gently kissing her forehead.

oOo

Thranduil paced (hehe pun intended 😅) back and forth in the gardens. He had to go back home. Before his father had died, Oropher made an alliance with one of the other elven kingdoms.

His new bride was on her way. Thranduil had a problem though. He loved Cadhradriel, and he knew in his heart that she loved him too.

Cadhradriel was of royal blood, but her mother, the only daughter of Fëanor, had renounced her right to the throne by marrying Glorfindel.

Oropher wanted his line to be Sindarian. Besides, since the Noldor rebelled against the Valar, the race had exiled here to Middle Earth.

He would have to tell her. A twig snapped behind him, causing the silver haired elf to turn around. He smiled seeing Cadhradriel.

She gave him a slight smile. "What did they say?"

Thranduil sighed and motioned for her to sit with him. Once the Elleth was seated, he took her hands in his. Cadhradriel could sense he was upset, and she gave him a reassuring squeeze.

"Before my Ada died, he made an arrangement for me marry an Elleth from a neighboring kingdom," he paused for a moment before continuing. "My bride to be is on her way to the Greenwood now."

Cadhradriel slowly nodded her head. Her heart was broken, but she knew he had a duty to fulfill. She looked down at their entwined fingers.

"When do you leave, my lord?"

"At first light."

The Elleth bit her lip to keep the tears at bay. "Then I shall leave you to prepare for the journey home," she whispered getting up.

Thranduil didn't say a word as she walked away. His heart broke into a million pieces it felt like. All he wanted to do was marry the Elleth who had stolen his heart, the daughter of Glorfindel.

He prayed to the Valar that somehow he could resolve this.

A/n: had writers block, hence why this is crappy.