11. The Hall of Fire

Cadhradriel smoothed her dress as she looked in the mirror. Her stomach was doing butterflies just thinking about dinner. Why was she so nervous?

She shook the feeling away, and placed a pin in her hair. A knock from the door startled her. The dark haired Elleth rose from her vanity, and opened the door.

On the other side, stood a rather nervous looking Lindir. Cadhradriel smiled when she saw him.

"Mae govannen, Lindir."

Lindir took her hand in his own, and brought it up to his lips. He placed a gentle kiss on her knuckles before extending his arm out.

"My lady."

Cadhradriel smiled and took his arm. Lindir lead her into the hall where some of the other residents of the Last Homely House were gathering for dinner.

oOo

Glorfindel stiffened seeing his daughter with another elf. Daelarien nudged her husband. "She will be fine."

The blonde elf gave his wife a look. "Why doesn't that give me any hope?"

Daelarien kissed her husband's cheek. "Meleth nin, Lindir is a wonderful Ellon. Wasn't it his music that woke her up?"

Glorfindel considered this for a moment. "I guess you're right. I will also have Sarthanir sit close to them, just in case."

His wife laughed. "Meleth, you are crazy."

oOo

Lindir and Cadhradriel made their way over to one of the tables, when the musicians made their way to the front of the room.

Music began to float through the air as the meal was served. Light laughter and conversation soon filled the hall.

Sarthanir was too busy chatting with an Elleth to keep an eye on his older sister. Cadhradriel laughed and shook her head.

"What's so funny," Lindir questioned.

The Elleth motioned to her brother. "My little brother. He has been gone for a few months to visit the Greenwood, and now that he is returned, he has become quite an attraction."

Her heart fell at the mention of the Greenwood. She had purposefully missed Thranduil's wedding, for she feared her heart could not take it. Cadhradriel shook the feeling off with a sip of her wine.

"My little brother is thinking of going to the Greenwood. He has always been a skilled hunter, and he thought the forest would present a challenge for him."

Cadhradriel raised an eyebrow in interest. "Really?"

Lindir nodded. "I fear that I am not able to use a bow if my life depended on it. I can use a blade though," he admitted rubbing the back of his neck nervously.

Cadhradriel smiled at him. "It's hard to see you with a blade in your hand. I personally think that a harp or another instrument suits you better."

Lindir blushed. "Thank you, my lady."

oOo

After the meal, the couple decided to take a walk.

Lindir told his companion about how his family had come to Imladris not long after its founding, his brother, and how he came to love music.

Cadhradriel smiled and made little remarks throughout his storytelling.

"What about you," Lindir asked as they neared the entrance to Imlad Gelair, a garden hidden from view.

Cadhradriel laughed. "What about me?"

Lindir stopped and faced the Elleth. He was a head taller than her, and so thin too. Cadhradriel blushed and looked down at the ground.

"I mean, why do you stay in the valley? An Elleth with your skills and abilities should be out exploring."

Cadhradriel sighed. "I have always wanted to see the world. Explore this earth that beyond the safety of Imladris, but I want to do it with someone who would appreciate it."

She blushed and looked at the ground again. "I'm sorry. That must've seemed childish."

Lindir took a step towards her, a smile on his face. "I don't think it's childish at all. In fact, I think it's rather admirable."

Cadhradriel returned the smile. She sat down on one of the benches in the hidden garden. Lindir sat down next to her, his hands in his lap.

The pair sat in an awkward silence for a few moments.

"The garden is lovely tonight."

Lindir looked around at the garden. "It is."

oOo

After a while, and a few conversations later, the pair made their way back to the city.

Lindir escorted Cadhradriel back to her chambers. He rubbed the back of his neck nervously.

"Cadhradriel, would you mind joining me on a walk tomorrow afternoon?"

The Elleth smiled and kissed his cheek. "I would love to."