Chapter 23

Castiel explained to me that Joshua could speak to God, and if I wanted answers, it was worth a shot to try to talk to Joshua. So I agreed, asking if it would be difficult to find him.

"No, not difficult. But we will come in  contact with a few other angels to get to him, and, in all honesty, not too many angels like the Winchester's. They will try to discourage you, more than likely. You just need to ignore them, okay?"

I nodded. "Okay."

Castiel lead me from the gray room and out into a long hallway. He turned to face me. "Like I said, angels will try to discourage you. But not with their words."

"What do you mean?"

"Do you have a fear, Marilyn? Or nightmares that terrified you as a child, maybe even into your adult years?"

Jacob's face flashed in my mind, and I felt my throat get tight. I nodded.

"Angels can sense that. We know what you fear, what you enjoy. I can tell you're thinking of your brother now, and that it upsets you."

"What's your point, Castiel?"

"If you see something that scares you, do not fear it. It isn't real, it is a figure of your imagination an angel picked up on. If you see something you adore, something you'd like to follow, it is not real. Stay by my side, tell me if you see something odd, but do not believe it. Understand?"

I nodded, suddenly unsure of the trip to get to the garden. As Castiel turned to continue walking down the hallway, I began to panic. What if all the angels hated the Winchesters? What if even Castiel was in on it?

"You're assumptions are incorrect." Castiel said as we reached the end of the hallway. He opened a door and lead us out into a large, green field. It was lined by trees, surronding the feild and making it a circle. "Not all angels hate the Winchester's. Some wish to see them fail, though."

"Why?" I asked. Castiel walked straight through the field, toward the trees.

"Grudges. Frankly, I think the Winchester's have helped us more than they've harmed us, but my view on them is not shared by all of my brothers and sisters."

"Oh."

Halfway through the field, two people exited the thick amount of trees, smiling warmly at me. I assumed they were angels and smiled back, nodding. I opened my mouth to ask Castiel their names when they cocked their heads to the side, their eyes flashing black.

"Castiel!" I gasped, looking at the two.

He turned to look at me, confused. "Yes?"

"Demons," I whispered, almost embarrassed. Obviously demons were not in Heaven, I mean, it was Heaven.

Castiel followed my eyes, and then blocked my view. He muttered a few words, and a bright light appeared. When he stepped back, the demons were gone.

"Are they gone?" Castiel turned to ask me. I nodded. He nodded back.

Castiel turned to continue walking across the field, and I jogged to catch up. "What did you do?" I asked.

"Nothing you need to concern yourself with."

My eyes fell to the ground, unsure of how to respond. As we entered the forest, I heard gun shots. Castiel didn't even flinch, but I did.

"What? What is it?" Castiel asked when I jumped.

"Gun shots. You didn't hear them?"

Castiel shook his head. "Cover your eyes."

I did as I was told, closing my eyes and then covering them with my hands. Castiel muttered again, even lower than before, and the same flash of light appeared. When it was gone, Castiel gently grabbed my wrist. "Okay," he said, pulling my hands away from my eyes. "You shouldn't hear them again."