three - edited

My bed dipped, and I shot up, eager to see who the intruder was.

"Asshole," I muttered, laying back down and rolling over, covering my face with a pillow.

"Oh, come on, don't tell me you forgot about our plans for this morning!" I could hear the smile in his voice as he spoke. I kept my face hidden, not wanting him to see me smile when I was trying to be mad at him.

"Of course I didn't," my voice was muffled by the pillow. "But it's far too early to be awake."

"It's nine thirty. It's breakfast time. Get up." he said, reaching out to shake me.

"Dammit, Sam," I sat up, rolling my eyes as he grinned victoriously. "I hate you sometimes, you know that?"

"All I hear is lies," Sam smiled, standing up so I could get off my bed. "Oh, by the way, Ashley wants to talk to you before we leave."

"Is she home?"

"Not yet, but she called to let you know she had something to tell you."

"Should I be worried?" I asked as I went through my dresser for something to wear.

"I don't think so."

I turned around, looking around the room. My eyes stopped on Sam, who was sitting on my bed. I walked across the room, stopping in front of him, and ruffled his hair with my hand.

"Hey! Cut it out!" he said, gently pushing me away.

"You need a haircut." I laughed.

"Shut up," he grumbled. "Go shower. You smell gross."

"Thanks."

Roughly thirty minutes later, I was seated in my living room, trying to tame my blow dried hair. "Can you bring me my beanie?" I asked Sam, giving up. He picked up the gray beanie and threw it across the room. It didn't even go far enough, landing a couple yards away from my feet. "Gee, thanks." Sam just smiled at me.

We heard the lock on the door turning, and then Ashley entered the apartment, her long time boyfriend following her.

"I'm home!" she yelled, not knowing Sam and I were the living room.

Sam flinched, rolling his eyes. He thought Ashley was obnoxious, but tried, for my sake, to get along with her. But when she wasn't around, or in that case, couldn't see him, his dislike for her was easily seen on his face.

"Be nice," I mouthed, just before Ashley came into the living room.

"Marilyn!" Ashley said loudly when she saw me. I failed to hide the smile at the face Sam was making behind her. "I have to talk to you."

"I heard. What's up?"

"Okay, so yesterday," she smiled as she turned around to look at Andrew, who was hovering in the doorway. He stepped into the room, moving to sit next to Sam. Sam may have not liked Ashley, but he was fond of Andrew.  "Andrew asked if I'd move in with him, and I said yes."

"That's great!" I exclaimed, hugging my friend. I saw Sam's face light up as he realized he wouldn't be seeing her as much.

"That's fantastic!" he said from the couch, making Andrew laugh. He knew about Sam's dislike for his girlfriend.

"I know!" Ashley said as she pulled away from me. "But that means-"

"Don't worry about me," I said, knowing exactly what she was going to say. "I'll find somewhere else to live." Ashley and I had been friends when we went to college, before I decided to take a break for a year. We had found the place I was currently living in, and discovered that together, we could afford it. Alone, there was no way in hell I'd be able to keep the place.

"I'm sorry, I wish I could help-"

"Don't apologize," I reassured her, smiling. "I'm happy for you."

Sam and I left when Ashley started packing her things.

"So you're moving out?" Sam asked. "Just like that?"

"What am I supposed to do? I can't afford it."

"Alone you can't."

"And I'm now alone. Good job at figuring that out, Sam."

He rolled his eyes, parking the car in front of our favorite breakfast restaurant. "You don't have to be."

"I don't really want to go through the trouble of finding a new roommate. It's a miracle Ashley and I could live together without wanting to kill each other-"

"Oh my God, you're oblivious!" Sam cut me off. "I'm looking for another place to live. Since she's moving out, I could move in."

I wrinkled my nose, pretending to be disgusted by the thought of living with him. "But I don't want to live with a boy."

Sam laughed. "You're an idiot."

"Yeah, yeah, whatever, Sammy."

"Sam." he corrected with a roll of his eyes.

"Right. Sorry, Sam. What do you have against 'Sammy?'"

"I already told you, my brother used to call me that."

"Oh. Right."

Sam had told me a while ago that his brother had died during a hunting trip. They had wandered off course, goofing off, but after a while, they got lost, and then separated. Sam found his way back to camp, but his brother didn't. After about a week with no word about his condition or whereabouts, his family assumed he was dead, and, looking for an outlet of their grief, his parents blamed Sam. Needless to say, that kind of accusation destroys a relationship, and he didn't talk to his parents anymore.

There was an awkward silence for a moment, until Sam recovered and said, "So what do you think?"

"About?"

"Me moving in."

"Oh! Oh, yeah, that should work."

After we finished our breakfast, we sat at the table, talking.

"Let's see a movie later," Sam suggested.

"I can't tonight," I said, smiling as I remembered my plans for the evening. "I have a- a, uh, thing."

"A thing? That's your excuse for ditching me?"

"I'm not exactly sure what it is," I admitted.

"A date?" he teased.

"I don't think so."

"Yeah, okay."

"Shut up, Sam."

Before he could say anything else, our waitress came over, picking up out empty plates. "Anything else?" she asked, smiling at Sam.

"The check?" he returned her smile.

"You got it, I'll be right back."

"Are you working later?" Sam said as soon as she walked away, knowing exactly what I was going to say.

"Don't even," I rolled my eyes.

"Don't what?"

"You know what!"

Our waitress, Charlotte, was a friend of ours from school. She had transferred to Seattle University at the same time Sam had, and they immediately hit it off. Unfortunately for her, he was completely oblivious to her affections, or still grieving over his brother, and never asked her out. He never really turned her down, though, so she was still wrapped around his finger.

Sam opened his mouth, eyes narrowed, as Charlotte came back, our check in her hand. "Here you go,"

"Thank you," I smiled at her.

She smiled back. "See you guys later."

He smiled at her as she walked away, bringing his gaze back to me when she was out of sight. "What?" he asked, seeing my smirk.

"Oh, nothing," I said, wiggling my eyebrows at him.

"Shut up."