Chapter Two

After much struggle, Diana was lying down helplessly at the foot of a tree. The beast ran towards her, but Mary drew out a small dagger and aimed it at the beast. The weapon ran passed it, slashing pass its skin.

She ran quickly to Dianna, kneeled by her and lifted her head off the ground. "Are you okay?" She asked.

Dianna leaned weakly against Mary, lifted her hands to check on her burning forehead. The pain was too much for her to bear but no sound escaped from between her lips. Tears shone in her pretty eyes and she blinked them away. She swallowed dryly before responding, " I feel.;" the rest of her words escaped in silence through her breath before she passed out.

"No no," Mary whispered continuously to herself, shaking Diannas body to see if she could quickly bring her back to consciousness. "Not now Dianna, wake up!" she screamed.

The beast roared again after recovering from the cut and aimed at them with enough strength.

Just at the right time, Elvin arrived at the scene. He saw the two girls looking helplessly ahead. Suddenly, something struck his feeling, something pleasant: love. It was so full of life and flowed through him like a living spring. He thought of where they came from and what they are doing here but those thoughts washed away quickly as the need to help them was more important. He stretched his arm from behind the tree where he hid and summoned his magic.

A large stone cut out from the ground, spun forward and knocked the beast away. He ran to the two girls and kneeled by them. Elvin examined Dianna's neck carefully with his sweaty palm; he felt the coldness, together with the emotions he couldn't hold back. He tried hard to resist but it appeared that the connection between both of them was great mystery.

"Is she all right?" he asked.

"No," answered Mary, not really paying attention to the stranger.

Elvin stood to confront the ugly creature who still refused to die. The beast finally managed to stand, and Elvin realized his mistake. He should have rushed the beast before it gathered enough strength to fight back. Now, he had no other option than to stand and fight. Elvin rolled out of the way as the beast's thick tail smashed to the ground beside him. To avoid the backswing, he stomp his foot on the ground making a thick wall to erupt from the earth. The wall blast into small pieces of rocks as the beast's tail went through and almost took Elvin a bit in the side.

He pulled out his sword from it sheath, held it firmly and attacked.

The beast swung it tail as well.

Elvin could see it coming, but couldn't do anything about it. He could only throw himself forward, sword raised, and teeth clenched. He struck his sword into the beast eye and staggered away. He fell. Gesturing his hand swiftly, the earth curled up beneath the beast and wrapped around it legs.

The beast roared in anger and pain. Blood streamed down from it eye as it tried to break free from the earth grasp.

Elvin raised a huge piece of rock with a mere gesture. He grinned and punched the air. As his fist came to a halt, the huge piece of rock lunged at the beast and sent it crashing against the giant octre tree. He sighed heavily, slowing becoming aware of the wet grasses and his partly wet cloth. He stood up and rushed to the girls. "Is she all...?"

But Mary drew up her sword against Elvin.

Elvin paused, and gradually stood up to avoid misunderstanding. He took a step forward, his hand raised above his shoulder. He surrendered. "Hey easy, your friend is poisoned and bleeding badly," he explained. "She doesn't have a lot of time," he concluded.

Mary feared, hearing that her friend had only a short time left to live. Nodding at the injured girl, she lowered her sword and agreed. "Okay, then."

Elvin moved closer, lifted Diana, and carried her down the narrow path that led to his small hut. Getting into the hut, he put her on the bed and softly supported her head with a heap of clothes.

Dianna groaned softly.

Elvin picked up a jar containing a green herb and headed it towards Dianna's face.

"Whats that?" Mary protested with a worried look.

He raised his head to see sadness written all over her face. "I will need her to sleep before I treat the wound, and she probably wont be awake till mornings... trust me, your friend will be okay" he said and smile with the hope of convincing her.

"Okay," she said as she continued watching from a very close distance.

Elvin shook the jar and made the unconscious girl drink the foul-tasting liquid. He turned her round, making her face down as he stared at the wound right above her back.

"Do you need this?" Mary moved closer as she offered Elvin a small dagger.

"Oh yeah," he replied. He collected the dagger and tore out the blood stained piece of her dress to expose the wound. Elvin made a damped cloth and cleaned the wound quickly before he made a move on stopping the slow spread of the poison through her system. Now that it appeared clean, he opened his herb box and picked out two containers; one contained green powder while the other contained tiny blue flowers and some brown roots. He took small quantity of both on the same palm, squeezed it and gently rubs it on her wound before finally covering it up with lot of bandages. "Help me with the pillow," Elvin gestured at the direction of the pillow and reached out for Dianna.

Mary picked the small brown pillow and trailed behind Elvin, "she is going to be alright?"

"Definitely... Elvin replied without looking at the worried girl. He carried her to the nearest corner of the room where a blazing fire danced on a thick wood in the fireplace. She was wet and cold, and needed to be kept warm. He laid her down and placed her head properly on the pillow. "You must be tired and hungry," Elvin said as he stared at Mary who was about to sit and passed a basket of fruit to her.

Night came and then vanished. The joyous birds welcomed the beauty of the morning sun.

The wind blew coldness everywhere as a result of yesterday's rain. Elvin sat, melding his mind with his serpent,

Diana set on her booth and Mary whistled loudly to summon their magic broomsticks

The brooms arrived in no time. Mary and Diana hopped on them and bid Elvin good-bye. They were about to take off before Dianna called "Elvin!"

"Yes," he answered plainly, trying to hide the weird feelings burning inside him. He moved closer as he looked straight into her blue eyes.

"Thanks for saving my life, I owe you big," she said, stretching her hand forward.

He raised his hand to meet hers. "Eh mm, you're welcome," answered Elvin nervously as they shook hands.

"Don't forget the invite. If you have decided, the energy of the academy will find you," she said with a big smile on her face. Then, she backed away from him and hopped back on her broomstick.

"I will think about it," he replied shyly, looking elsewhere to avoid eye contact with her. "Fly safe." he said and headed toward his hut.

"Look at that expression on your face," Mary whispered to her friend, who was already lost in thought.

"What?" she giggled, punching Mary lightly on her shoulder. "I'm clueless, these feelings are strange." The two girls laughed and flew away.

This was the first time Elvin felt lonely. He felt as though a part of him were missing, as though his heart had melted. He couldn't stop his thoughts about Dianna, about the connection and strange feelings that left him clueless, about the love, even though it had only been their first encounter. He didn't know what had suddenly ignited his love for her.

I wish we can meet again...he thought, turning back to watch the girls vanish among the clouds