Chapter Nine

The sky pose still, miserably in a plain night dress with an absented moon leaving the dim, lifeless stars lonely above the earth. The ground silently vaporizes heat alongside the hot flames from the burning fire that lit from every corners of the bricked field. The field is a large area behind one of the school smallest hill which has an anciently-bricked altar in it center.

It is the night of lageau, the journey of the red moon which demands ceremonial activities before and during it movement across the landscape of the academy. It is the most highly honored period of the night and the most dangerous moment for the inhabitant of the academy if the needed items are not presented. Amongst all necessary item of the night, the most important is the crystal goblin statue which has to be placed on the altar before the ray of the Red moon touches any living soul in the academy.

Hot air swirls all around, hitting the body of the quiet crowd who are in a neatly arranged form. The crowd of students surrounded the altar, and seated on the bare floor with one leg folded into the other.

In the massive gathering, Elvin sat with Dianna. His haunted mind tossed up wary thoughts, his breath retaliating to the coarse beat of his heart and his body sank in sore mood. He felt Dianna's soft palm crawling into his.

She held his hand and felt the flow of tension in it. She sighed with her nice, fitted gown beautifully comprehending with the deep color of the environment and her worried eyes fell upon the embrace of her long dark eye lashes.

"That dream again? her low voice painting her concern.

The answer was felt as Elvin blank expression had said it all. He had frequently being disturbed by a weird dream of a man who showed nothing but his back view. Every part of him were perfectly covered except from his rough and aged palm which had a small thick-brown, double headed axe within it hold, tightly but with no aim to strike.

"You don't look good Elvin," she said.

Elvin showered down a sullen face, swallowed hard, "that person kept repeating that I should spare what I have to keep what I love," he paused with a grin.

"He said he is the god of lightening and fire, that I hold a power of his and it is a gift against a coming era," He blinked his eyes, seeking for comfort but the memories of the dream still escort every of his heart beat, putting more weight against his gentle body. He shivered, his scarlet face entertained the flow of sweat slinking down as his elbow merge to his lap and his face sinking to the raw flesh of his palm.

"What era is that?" She asked.

"I don't know, I understand."

Dianna lips stretched to form a smile "look into my eyes Elvin," he squeezed his shoulder with gentle pressure.

Elvin with slow response raise his head to catch view of her desperate face. His eyes perfectly melt into hers, different sensations dazzled in her which he couldn't interpret. His head sailed forth without thinking much, his heart lifted with calmness. He adjusted his position to fit in the nature of the atmosphere while his heart beat faster as their forehead met.

Being the first time, Elvin's eyes shut close to respect the loving pleasure that overwhelmed them. Their short-distant lips was about to close the gap before the sound of the bukasul drum whelmed every noise in the field and breaking Elvin and Dianna from an unfinished act.

DOOM! ...DOOM! Doom! The heavy beat of the drum exploded with the winds and followed by tender chants of the traditional talking drum which praises the arrival of the red moon. The talking drum is a spiritual musical instrument which serves as a medium of communication between humans and gods or deities.