Chapter Seven

"Can you hear that?" asked Mr. Rowlock of the Academy Defense Office. He is an aggressive, slim dwarf with tangled white hair and only one gray eye.

Professor Ziumeda, the Minister of Defense, wore a confused look and sat upright to address the worried-looking man."Calm down Rowlock. Whatever is wrong, I think I deserve some respect from you."

Bowing, the other man said, "Apologies, sir." He tried to balance his breathing and present himself in a more formal way. "Sir, I think you should take a look at the sky."

Closing the book in front of him and dropping his long blue pen, Professor Ziumeda wrapped his cloak around him gently and reached for his wand. Cautiously, he slide aside the salamander curtain with flowery patterns and raised his head to take a look at the light blue sky covered in flames of gray cloud. His eyes suddenly captured the image of a flying green bird making loud noises as its massive wings forcefully beat the air. He lowered his glasses on his nose as he recognized the future-telling magical creature. "The Tule?" he asked.

"Yes. And are you aware of the implication of its cries?"

Suddenly, the professor became very tense, hot sweat streaming down his coarse skin. His eyes darted through the book-filled, rectangular table as though looking for something. Opening his wide lips, he finally said in a crackling voice, "Yes, an omen of destruction. Evil will soon drive its orders and power into the world."

"Sir I think it is time we started addressing these issue or else the world will crumble before our eyes. The real place of the guardians is out there" he said, pointing his fingers out in the air. ~~~~~~~~~~

The sun bestowed its light abundantly on the earth, heating the marbled floor of the oval-shaped arena. A large number of students were seated and more were coming in from the west and south gates. The surroundings were decorated with carvings, patterned tapestries, and statues of heroes, and were fenced with granite walls. Elvin stood with his sword tightly secured in his dry hand, his eye catching that of his opponent's, Del.

Del was a huge boy, with fleece-like dark brown hair with azure eyes. He wore a black top and a large leather trouser. He dropped his shield to the ground with a clatter, and lifted his sword into the air.

In response, Elvin also dropped his shield and twisted the sword upward. With every light step, his eyes calmly studied his opponent's position. The opponent suddenly spun and thrust his sword towards Elvin who blocked and pushed back. His feet grounded into the dirt floor.

Del thrust his sword left and right with swift attacks but Elvin constantly blocked and backed away, breathing heavily.

Elvin narrowed his eyes at Del, finding it extremely difficult to adapt to the boy's unexpected speed.

Del threw himself in the air and swung his sword at Elvin in a deadly manner. He faked to the right, Elvin fell for it and cried out in pain as Del's sword sliced his right shoulder.

Staggering back and landing on his knee, Elvin grabbed his shoulder and felt blood wet his palm. He lifted his head at a snail's pace as Del approached confidently, swinging his sword and sniggering in an irritated manner.

"Is that all you got? You can never become a guardian here!" Del spat. "Let me feel your rage, show me that energy you will use against me when I break one of Dianna's tiny bone." he yelled with a cold laugh.

Elvin's eyes sparked at the mention of Dianna. Boiling with rage, his inner power took over and led him charging at Del. The connection between his power and his relationship with Dianna was still an unsolved mystery to him, but that didn't matter as his fist met Del's jaw with a sickening bang.

Del landed on the dusty floor, his lips blood-soaked. In retaliation, he lunge a piece of rock at Elvin.

Elvin was quick to see it coming. He back flipped, punched the air as he landed and a large globe of stone lunged forth.

The two rocks clashed and exploded between them.

Before Del could move again, Elvin shot another orb of rock that threw him against the arena wall. Struggling to stand with his weakened body, he was slashed by Elvin and had his sword wrenched away from him. He fell to the ground heavily. He tried to crawl away but Elvin held him at bay with his sword, snarling and saying, "I don't know much about having friends and protecting them, but I don't mind giving it a try."

The sound of the final whistle pierced through the moment of silence, and chants of victory began to overwhelm the arena. ~~~~~~~~~~

"Creatures attacked in Sparatova?" Blurted out Professor Ziumeda with a puzzled face, his hands shaking as he held the informative letter. Sparatova was a small, magic-less and nearly defenseless region which one wild beast could destroy with a wipe of it clawed paw."Ychaen!" he yelled.

Ychaen, a small man wearing a rust-colored shirt with coarse white hair, and brown skin ran in. "Sir." he answered, flashing his gray eyes.

"Arrange three willing guardians to address the matter of Sparatova immediately after the cock's crow tomorrow."