Two Worlds Apart

Here's the next chapter. I hope you all really like it!

Crystal POV

My arm rested in the sling Iroh had helped tie around me earlier. It was pretty busted and still hurt like crazy. It had been a week since the storm, and we were still headed a path north. Zuko finally realized on his own where the Avatar was headed, coming to the conclusion that Aang was trying to find a master waterbender. What better place to find one than at the North Pole.

Currently the ship was docked at a trading town, where a group of crewmen left to go buy some supplies. While they were gone, Zuko and Iroh decided to go train some below deck in meditation. Iroh asked if I wanted to come, but I knew my presence would only distract them both. I just smiled and told them to go on without me. They did so, although Iroh reminded me before he went that I needed to take my medicine before lunch. I nodded to let him know I would.

Being alone on deck, I was able to think as I walked along the edge of the ship and stared out at the town before me. My good hand slid along the rail as I went. Humming, I watched as the town's people walked back and forth going about with their daily business. They looked like small creatures from where I stood. Time seemed to drift by as I idled about on deck.

"Hey... You should head down below," my good guard friend Hul stated. "You need to take the herbs."

Rolling my eyes, I turned to Hul with kindness. "Stop worrying all the time. A broken arm isn't all that bad."

Ever since the storm, Hul had been eager to keep an eye on me. He told Iroh and Zuko he wanted to repay me for saving his life the other day. Hul had been the one I helped from falling overboard. He felt bad for not protecting me in return, and wanted to make up for it. When Iroh informed me Hul would look after me when he and Zuko weren't around, I was both surprised and grateful. The guard wasn't bad company to have around.

He didn't seem reassured. His dark brown eyes continued to appear unsettled. "Broken limbs can remove even the strongest men from war. My father was discharged when he broke his leg during a battle."

I grinned. "Lucky for me, I'm not a man."

A bird suddenly landed on the rail nearby. It was pure white with piercing black eyes. Its beak was black and it was no larger than my hand. It whistled a tune and hopped slightly on its perch. I gasped at its beauty, and silently stepped closer to it. The bird cocked its head when it heard my movement, but it made no move to fly off.

"A pebble-swan," Hul stated from behind me. "They're common in these parts."

I beamed as I watched the bird use its beak to ruffle its feathers. "I've never seen one before."

"It must be strange," he began. "I heard rumor that all you've ever known is the South Pole. Traveling across the world must be an exciting experience for you."

I nodded, my eyes still set on the beautiful bird near me. "Yeah... It's been a pretty wild ride these last few months."

Hul chuckled. "Yes it has." He stepped over to the railing as silently as he could. He also didn't want to scare the bird away. "You know... I have a daughter close to your age. I haven't seen her for three years now..." He sighed heavily. "Maybe that's why I worry about you so much. You remind me of her."

Curious about Hul, I asked, "Do you want to go home?"

He hung his head. "One day I will... There's no point going home with nothing to show for it though. I must help Prince Zuko on his quest if I am to earn honor and be acceptable to my family."

Grimacing, I gripped the rail with my good hand. "You know... there's more to life than just pleasing others. I know why you really won't go home... you think you'll be a disgrace to the Fire Lord."