Streaming Heart

"Captain! Set a course west! The Avatar is headed into the Fire Nation!"

Currently I was playing Pai Sho with Iroh and being pounded. It was the morning after we rescued Iroh from his kidnapping. Zuko had disappeared overnight, which I knew because we were sharing the cabin again. In the morning, Zuko was still gone and I quickly went to inform Iroh down the hall. He told me not to concern myself too much.

"Zuko's always disappearing. He'll turn up eventually."

To get my mind off of Zuko's absence, Iroh challenged me to Pai Sho which I begrudgingly accepted. I already knew I would lose, and sure enough Iroh was in the lead. Just as I went to place down a tile, the door to the helm we sat in swung open. Zuko rushed into the room shouting out his orders. When Iroh heard, the old man jumped up faster than I'd ever seen.

"The Fire Nation! Prince Zuko! I really must protest! You are banished! If they catch yo-"

"They won't," Zuko defended, looking at his uncle believing his own words. "The Avatar is so close! I can't lose this opportunity!"

I was worried by this news. I just had to ask. "Why is he headed into the Fire Nation? What could he possibly want that he would risk capture?"

Zuko surprisingly answered me. "I questioned a man at the nearby village. It seems the Avatar is headed to Roku's temple to try and contact his past life."

My eyes widened. His past life... Could the Avatar really do something like that? And if so, why would Aang need to speak to his past life? What's going on?

Zuko turned back to the captain. "How long will it take to reach Roku's temple?"

"About six hours sir," the man stated. He had already started to change some gears and turn the wheel. "That's if we give it all we've got."

"Then give it everything. I will not lose my chance!" Zuko turned back toward me. "In three hours you will return to your room. I can't have you trying to escape or fight me again."

I sighed heavily. Crossing my arms, I hung my head in dismay. "Fine..."

He was surprised by my obedience. He shot me a puzzled expression, but didn't ask. He left us then to go prepare for his quest. Once he was gone, I returned to the Pai Sho board thinking about my next strategy.

Three hours later I found myself returning to my room as Zuko had ordered. I didn't want to be locked in my room for the rest of the day, but I knew arguing with Zuko would do no good. I was tired of fighting with him, and honestly I didn't want to walk around freely in the Fire Nation. I did long to see my family again, but I knew they would escape and be perfectly safe. As long as they weren't under Zuko's captivity, I was happy for them. One day I would see them again, but today just wasn't that day.

When I stepped into the room, I wasn't surprised to see Zuko was already there dressed up in his heavy armor. He wore the armor whenever he planned on chasing after Aang. I preferred his casual attire, but I didn't comment.

Walking past Zuko, I plopped down on my cot and kicked off my shoes. The whole time Zuko watched me with burning question. Sitting cross legged, I stared at my hands wishing that he would stop looking at me with his pondering gold eyes.

"Why aren't you fighting me?"

His sudden question took me off guard.

"Do you want me to?"

Zuko stared at me for a few more seconds. "No... It's just strange. I thought you'd argue again, but you're actually behaving."

"I'd rather be locked up willingly than thrown in a cell again. Besides, I have no desire to be out and about walking freely when we're in Fire Nation territory. I still think my family and the avatar are crazy for attempting whatever they're trying to do."