Frozen in Ice

~~AUTHORS NOTE~~

This story has been revised. The revised version is posted as a separate story under my other works. Feel free to read the old version, new version, or both. Nothing in the old and new is really different. The new version is just cleaned up a lot with some added details. I am posting new chapters to this version and the revised one. Thanks!! ~ Faith

https://www.wattpad.com/story/250690634-blazing-crystal-revised-version

Disclaimer: I do not own Avatar the Last Airbender.

Chapter 1

They say water and fire don't work together. Water is fire's enemy and fire is waters downfall. My sister and brother have claimed fire is the most evil thing in the world. When I was younger I believed them. The ones who firebend had done nothing to this village but hurt us. My mom was dead, my dad was at war, and I had a scar that forever marked me as their victim.

Looking at my reflection in the small mirror of our tiny igloo home, I pressed my hand on my neck where a scar stretched from my collar bone up to my right cheekbone. The burn had happened years ago when I was nine. Now I was fifteen, but the image of that terrifying man with a flame in his hand constantly came back to me.

"Mommy! No! Mommy!"

"Step aside!"

"No!"

"Then I'll kill you girl!"

Gasping, I jumped back from the mirror as the memory of a piercing fire struck through my mind. Instinctively I touched the scar on my face and winced as the painful memory struck my mind.

"Crystal! Katara and I are going to get some fish. Want to come?" Sokka suddenly asked, and I turned to see him standing at the doorway of our small igloo. He was watching me for a moment; I saw him notice my hand on my scar. My brother was tall and lean. He had brown hair he kept tied back in a ponytail and soft blue eyes. He was my age, seeing as we were twins. Fraternal of course, since I was prettier, thin with my teenage curves, and my brown hair flowed freely below my shoulder blade. We both had the same colored skin though, and we were alike in some ways.

"You mean you're going to try and get some fish," I said, smirking when my brother glared at me.

He then frowned again when he saw my hand hadn't moved from my scar. "You okay?"

Taking my hand away from my face, I nodded, grimacing at his perception. "Yeah... Just have a lot on my mind."

He nodded, then walked into the small igloo with me and I felt his hand touch my face and trace the burn. Closing my eyes, I felt tears fill them as the memory tried to come back to me. I held them in though. I didn't like crying, especially in front of my family.

"You're having the nightmares again... You're seeing mom's death, aren't you?"

Grabbing Sokka's hand, I pulled it from my face but held it enjoying my brother's warmth and kindness. "I'm fine Sokka... You don't have to worry about me so much. You're only an hour older any way."

He rolled his eyes pulling his hand away. "That still makes me your older brother, and as your older brother I'm supposed to worry."

"Worry more about your other little sister. She's the one that gets into trouble every five minutes."

Sokka sighed. "Yeah... Guess that's what we get for having a waterbender in the family." He extended his hand toward my forehead then, flicking me at the center. I winced and rubbed the spot pouting at him. "You better start cheering up, or I'll tie you upside down to a pole."