Cooling The Flame

Here's the next chapter! =)

The ship swayed as I tried to move my body against the wall to get comfortable. It had been twenty-four hours since I attacked Zuko, and so far I had been alone. I was dying of thirst, and my stomach was empty. My ankles and wrists were numb and caked in dry blood. My body ached, my head hurt, and my heart was in agony. The whole time I sat in my cell, in the dark, all I could think about was Aang and my family.

Aang... Katara... Sokka...

The ship had stopped only a few minutes ago. I knew this because when the ship stopped the halt sent me falling on my side. My arms were behind my back, so I hadn't been able to catch myself. Thankfully there was a moldy cot I managed to fall on. It was a struggle to sit back up though, but I managed.

Shutting my eyes, I tried to picture good thoughts. Zuko would lead his men through Kyoshi Island, but Aang and my family would easily escape him. I prayed that the empty cells around me would stay just the same: empty.

Eventually, after a long silence passed, there was a sudden quake in the boat that sent me falling again. I gasped as this time my body fell on the steel instead of the cot. Something must've hit the ship, and it was something from below. Pressing my ear to the steel, I heard the mutest noise. It was like a very dim growl, and it echoed through the floor. There was some type of creature in the water, and I knew it was probably big. I shut my eyes not wanting to die being eaten by whatever swam below the ship.

It seemed another thirty minutes passed. I hadn't moved from my spot, kind of enjoying to cold steel on my cheek. My arm was uncomfortable, but I was tired of moving when all I'd do was fall down.

The door to the cell hall opened suddenly, and heavy steps stomped in. I somehow maneuvered into a seating position again not wanting to look weak. Just as I sat up, Prince Zuko came into my vision. He held a torch which he placed on the wall. Originally, I'd been in the dark. This sudden light source made me cringe.

"I hope you're happy," he spoke, his voice strained as he tried not to yell. "The Avatar and his friends escaped me. That stupid boy's pet is too fast!"

My throat was hoarse, but I was able to speak. "Yeah... I am happy. I'm actually elated! If Aang's pet was here right now I'd give the big guy a kiss of gratitude."

He growled. He turned and walked over to my bars crossing his arms. "I can see you still need to learn your lesson." His eyes looked over my state, and then an idea struck him. He sneered. "How's about this... You tell me where the Avatar is headed, and I'll take off your restraints to make your stay in this cell more comfortable."

"I'm perfectly comfortable," I lied.

Zuko looked at my position with knowing. "I doubt that." He leaned forward. "Don't make things worse for yourself. If you behave, I'll think about letting you out in the next few hours. Where is the Avatar headed?"

I kept strong. "Definitely not toward you."

He gritted his teeth to keep from yelling at me. Quickly he pinched the bridge of his nose. "You're only making this worse for yourself. Tell me what I want to know, and your punishment won't continue for much longer."

"You honestly think I'm going to give up the Avatar's destination for my comfort... You have a lot to learn about me."

"So you won't say anything?"

I smirked. "Do what you want to me. As far as I'm concerned, protecting Aang is more important than my own self."

Zuko grabbed the bars hard. "You will answer me! Where is he headed?!"