Breakfast Gone Wrong

//AN// Like I told ShaelynDisotell, (sorry if I spelled that wrong! It's kinda complicated and I'm tired, so don't feel like I did it on purpose to be mean.) I got bored writing the description and so I started writing this!! See, I said I wasn't that bad at updating! This is back to Kayla's POV, poor, poor Kayla... I am REALLY sorry if I already told you what Phyllis put in the bags she gave them... I'm not the best author, as you obviously know, in fact I'm not very good at writing at all... Wow I'm being negative. Oh, well, I'll probably get better at this as I go!! Anyway, go by what I say in this chapter as far as the bags go.  It's not a particularly important chapter, but it leads to one! Actually at the end it leads to a spot that will give the story a bit of a push. Have fun reading!!!

The subject that had been discussed when I woke up was dropped after Ryder gave a horrified expression when I refused to explain my dream. It was none of his business anyway.

It hadn't been that interesting, and it wasn't very long. Ryder and I talked and he... flirted... but that was it!

Anyway, we started to try and figure out how we would get breakfast. It wasn't exactly easy, because we decided we needed to save the money. put together, we had less than $200 left, Phyllis had put 100 dollars in each of the bags she gave us. Each backpack also had a pack of crackers, an apple, a compass a flashlight, a pocket knife, and a box of band-aids.

I began going through my pack, hoping I could find something else, like,,,, Another hundred dollar bill. I didn't find any such thing.

"Okay, why did an old lady have two of these?" Ryder asked, holding up a pocket knife.

"How the heck should I know? And she isn't that old. I bet she had that cane to hit people like those thugs with, if so, it does its job well." I insisted, not looking up from the bag while I ran my hand along the inside walls of the backpack with no luck finding anything.

I finally gave up and sighed. "What exactly are we going to eat?"

Ryder shrugged, then cringed and clutched his wound.

"Don't do that!! It'll start bleeding again!" I hissed, pulling his hand away from his middle.

"I-I know... It just hurt when I shrugged. Anyway, I guess we could... well I think this garbage can is outside of a restaurant so..." Ryder said quietly.

"I'm not desperate enough to eat food out of a garbage can just yet." I replied stubbornly. "Can't one of us go and look for a cheap snack?" 

"I don't think either of us are in good enough shape to 'go and look' for anything." Ryder replied.

"You were alright yesterday when you went to the store!" I argued, but I immediately regretted it.

Ryder's face fell and he lowered his head. "I used up all my energy- I'm sorry, I should've been more careful, I might not have had to run. It's all my fault."

I was surprised. Ryder wasn't one to give up and apologize. I smiled and punched him lightly on the back.

"Don't get all depressed, or you'll make me feel bad and the mood will be ruined." I chided as he looked up.

"Fine then- YOU JERK!!!! DID YOU FORGET THAT I HAD TO RUN BACK ALL THE WAY FROM THE SUPERMARKET BECAUSE YOU WENT AND GOT YOURSELF SHOT!!! YOU CAN DO SOMETHING USEFUL INSTEAD OF SITTING BACK AND BOSSING ME AROUND!!! And that hurt, by the way." Ryder finished breathing hard, but he looked satisfied.

I glared, then pulled up the hood of my sweatshirt and pulled it around my face. "I'm sorry. I guess I'll make up for it by going out there and getting breakfast for us." I stood up, and immediately fell against the wall and pain seared through my arm.