Night Sounds

After a while, it started to get dark outside. It was going to be pitch black out.

"I don't suppose you have a flashlight in that backpack of yours with the insanely large amounts of food?" I asked Ryder.

He was too busy hyperventilating in the corner to answer.

"Come on, you can still see the sun! ...Well, it's probably like behind something..." I attempted.

He just shook his head.

"Stupid, nothing's gonna happen. Come on out. You can do it. Come on now. I'll give you a sticker! A gold one!"

He said nothing. I walked over to him. He was shaking. I kicked him in the back and he finally stood up.

"I was kidding..." He muttered.

"Of course you were. Now give do you have something warm in your backpack?" I asked. "It's ridiculously cold in here!"

He thought a minute. "I have three sweaters in the front pocket."

I ran over to his bookbag and pulled out the sweaters. "Wait, who's gonna get the third one?"

"Well me, of course. They are my sweaters." Ryder said.

"Well I made you remember them!"

"I was gonna get them anyway!"

"NUH UH!"

"UH HUH!"

"Well I'm cuter. And I'm not scared half to death of the dark!"

Ryder grabbed a green sweater and turned around. "Fine you take the stupid thing. I don't want it anyway."

It was starting to sound like there was more to this, 'scared of the dark' thing than Ryder was telling me. Maybe he had a secret! Something that would make explain his fear.

"Hey, are you hiding something?"

Ryder glared at me then layed down on the ground.

Well that might've been a bit of a giveaway. So... I was right?

"Whoa, I didn't think he was actually hiding something, I was kidding..." I thought.

I decided to ignore it, since he wouldn't tell me anyway. I also decided to stop making jokes about him being afraid of the dark.

I finally went to sleep. Suddenly, I heard a noise and jolted up. Ryder was talking in his sleep.

"N...No...She's my....Give r' back...My sister..."

I couldn't make much sense of it so I went back to sleep. After about five minutes, I heard a louder noise. Ryder was now sobbing in his sleep and calling,

"...My-my sister......I'll never...D-...do it again...Its so...Dark..."

'Is he rembering something?' I wondered. After Ryder went a while without making any noise, I fell asleep again. I dreamed I was walking out of the gym, but when I turned around the gym was complete darkness.

The darkness surged out and formed an arm, reaching towards me to pull me back in.

"Please come back! I'll be all alone if you don't!" Was that Ryder's voice? No way he was talking to me, he never used that tone. Then I heard another voice.

"Brother! HELP ME!! Please brother!! They're taking me!!"

"COME BACK!" The dark arm finally caought up with me, then, it reached right through me. A girl with long hair the same coler an Ryder's, light brown, and green eyes like Ryder's was standing was being carried away by an invisible force next to me.

The girl reached towards the arm, and the arm began to swipe at her, when the arm morphed into a human arm, or more specific Ryder's arm. and then a younger Ryder started to form at the end of it, running desperatly.

"Let me have her back! She's my sister! My-" suddenly he tripped and fell.

"Ryder! Ryder, help me! PLEASE!!"

Suddenly, I could see the two people carrying her off. There was a man and a woman, the man bald with a full, black beard. The woman with dirty blonde hair and a black bandana tied around her head.

"Too bad you had all the lights off in your house! The dark's a scary place kid, anything could be hiding there!" The man called, laughing.

"But I suppose that lesson won't help your sister much anymore...Not unless you can pay for her before her thirteenth birthday. She's 5, and she'll be in 7th grade, her birthday is the day your precious school district starts school. You're 7, so you'll be starting highschool if you keep your grades steady!" The woman added smugly.

7-year-old Ryder got up and tried to chase the people kidnapping the girl, but he fell again, and the they got into a truck that seemed to materialize out of no where, and they were gone. The young Ryder had a completlely shocked expression, and his eyes had tears brimming his eyes, but they were frozen with shock like the rest of him and didn't fall yet.

Suddenly the small Ryder screamed and started crying into his hands. "NO!" COME BACK!! GIMME...GIMME MY SISTER!!!"

I woke up with a jolt, and realised that I had started crying for the siblings in my dream.

I looked over to Ryder, and there were silent tears falling down his face while he dreamed.

"I think that Ryder," I thought. "is having the same dream as me."

The difference was, to him, I was guessing it was real.