Chapter 23: Pt. 2 | Think Happy Thoughts

Chapter 23: Pt. 2 | Think Happy Thoughts

“Sometimes we love people so much that we have to be numb to it because if we actually felt how much we loved them, it would kill us.” Riding in Cars

“I’d forgotten how much it snows in Massachusetts this time of year,” Georgina says from the backseat of my car.

We (Graham, Jackson, Georgina, and I) just left Biscotti and now we’re on our way back to the Cambridge’s house to help Georgina get settled in and such. Since she’s decided to move back to the States (which I honestly had no idea she was planning on doing—I just thought that she’d come home from Graham’s birthday, spend maybe a week or so here in Andover, and then go back to Europe), Graham suggested that she should go ahead and move into the house.

Georgina was a little bit hesitant to it at first—she said that she didn’t want to overstep her boundaries, and that she wanted to make sure that Tucker was okay with her moving in. Graham assured her that Tucker would be as happy, if not happier, than he and Jackson are to see their mom again.

“Does it not snow in Amsterdam?” Graham wonders from the passenger seat.

“Hardly ever,” She replies. “We get less than about a month of snow every year,” Georgina explains.

“That must be incredibly amazing,” I interject, skillfully swerving my car around a patch of black ice in the middle of the road. God, I hate winter and snow and ice and just about every single thing that this stupid season entails. I’ve said it before, I know, and I’ll continue to say it until spring finally rolls around and I’m relieved.

“You don’t like snow?” Georgina asks me curiously.

“I hate it,” I sigh, pulling Graham’s driveway, parking behind his shiny, black BMW. Speaking of, I just now found out that that’s the kind of car he drives. I’m just so bad with stuff like that, recognizing car makes and models, so even though I’ve seen and been in his car quite a few times, I’m just now figuring out what kind it is.

“I love snow,” Jackson pipes. “Will you make a snowman with me, mom?” He randomly asks and it’s so cute, because it’s the first time I’ve heard him call her ‘mom’.

“Of course I will,” She chirpily agrees as I turn the car off and the four of us get out, walking around to the trunk, which is where Georgina’s bags are.

She only brought with her two duffel bags to America, but surely, everything that she owns couldn’t be crammed into a couple of duffel bags. I’m sure it’d cost a boatload to have flown internationally with a bunch of luggage though, so I’m assuming she is just going to have the rest of her stuff sent over from Amsterdam.

Georgina tries to grab her duffel bags, but Graham, being the incredibly adorable gentleman he is, shoos her hand away and grabs both the bags and then closes my trunk. Jackson starts whining then though, saying that he’s “super strong” and that he wants to carry one of the duffel bags, so Graham hands him one of them with a laugh and then we make our way to the front door.

“Whose car is that?” Georgina asks to no one in particular, motioning to Cassidy’s white Toyota Avalon.

“That’s Cassidy’s car,” Graham tells his mother, using his key to unlock the front door and letting the three of us go inside before he does. “She’s Tucker’s fiancée, and she moved in here about two months ago,” He explains, shutting the front door behind him.

“Tucker’s getting married?” She wonders with an expression of shock and happiness etched across her face.

“He is,” Graham confirms, putting her duffel bag down on the carpeted floor near the couch and sitting down just as I do. Jackson and Georgina copy our motions then and plop down on the loveseat right across the glass coffee table from us. “They’re getting married in a few weeks, actually, I think. Do you wanna meet her?”