Part 45

After polishing off most of the ice cream with Jenna, Elena  went upstairs, where she took a shower, put on the clothes she wore for sleeping, grabbed her diary and a pen and she nestled under a soft fluffy blanket at the niche by the window, the darkness behind which was darker than her thoughts. She wasn't sure whether it was a good idea to confide them in her diary, but in the end, her natural trust in this book of her life took over her and she began to put all her emotions on paper, which practically begged her to be able to hear her out.

She wrote about all the events of the last few days. About her vampirism. About Klaus, Stefan and Klaus again. For some reason, she always ended up coming back to him. As if all roads didn't lead to Rome, but to Klaus.
She had hoped that seeing her thoughts captured in the form of words on the pages of her diary would make it easier for her to understand them. Instead, she understood it possibly even less. Almost as if she were reading someone else's story. Quite a tangled story, to be honest.
With disgust she put the diary into a drawer of her desk, she lay on the bed, closed her eyes tight and hoped that she would be able to fall asleep. Unfortunately, she got terribly thirsty. Sadly, it was the one you can't quench with a cup of water.

She whimpered. She had already had a shower, removed her make-up and put on her pyjamas, she didn't want to go outside to drink from lonely pedestrians. She would love to just take a sip of blood and then just topple on the bed again, put her head on the pillow and fall asleep.
Then she got an idea. Two humans lived there in her house - Jenna and Jeremy. She had a source of blood within arm's reach and she didn't even have to change her slippers for sneakers for the feeding.
She went downstairs, where Jenna was watching TV and slumbering.
'You're still awake?' Jenna was surprised.
'I'm thirsty,' replied Elena truthfully and she approached her aunt, who was wrapped up in a terry dressing gown and a couple of warm blankets. 'Are you sick?'
'Yeah, I'm coming down with something,' murmured Jenna. 'I guess I've eaten too much ice cream,' she made a face.
Elena suddenly felt sorry for her aunt and she was ashamed that she'd even considered drinking from her. Moreover, now that Jenna was weak, it would be particularly cruel from her.

Elena went to the kitchen, where she filled up a glass with cold water, she drank it all at one stroke, wished Jenna to feel better soon and climbed up the stairs. When she was passing the door of Jeremy's room, she slowed down the pace, until she stopped completely. She could hear Jeremy's heartbeat and the sound lured her in - and it was difficult for her to resist. Jeremy's breath was regular, so he was probably asleep. Elena took a deep breath and she carefully opened the door.
Jeremy was really sleeping and he smelled so temptingly, the more since Elena was very thirsty. She closed the door behind her and crept up to her brother's bed. She softly took his wrist in her hand, checked that he wasn't wearing the vervain bracelet she once gave him as a protection from vampires, and she bit him gently.
He immediately sprang up on the bed and scream: 'Ooooouch, what are you doing, Elena?'
Elena looked him in the eyes, which she could see because Jeremy had fallen asleep with a lamp on, and she compelled him not to be afraid and to keep quiet.
'I'll only take a little,' she promised him and she hungrily sucked Jeremy's blood. 'There,' she said when she had more or less enough, she plastered the wound and said: 'You will not remember any of this in the morning. When you see the scars left by my teeth, you will think that you have made them by yourself by accident while looking for compasses in your pencil case. Is it clear?'
Jeremy nodded numbly.
Elena switched off the lamp with satisfaction and she went to her bedroom. She was feeling better and she managed to fall asleep pretty quickly - it didn't even upset her much that she had just hurt her brother and sucked some blood from him.
She may have refused to admit it, but the old Elena was gone for good.