Part 5

After lunch, Elena walked towards her locker to get her textbooks for her afternoon classes When she opened the locker, she found a beautiful red rose with a message written on a coated paper card tied to the rose with a sateen ribbon. She didn't even have to read it to know who it was from. It said: I will pick you up tonight at 7. The signature was missing, but it was more than clear to her that this little courtesy is from Klaus Mikaelson.
Half devastated, half pensive, she took the message and hid it on the bottom of her bag. She was still holding the rose in her hand, though, wondering where Klaus was intending to take her. It wasn't exactly a sensible thing to do, to get carried away with her dreams like this, because Stefan caught her standing there with the rose, totally lost in her mind.
'Elena?' he said, confused.

'Stefan!' she jolted and she immediately hid the rose behind her back. A second later, she realised how childish that was.
'Who gave you that rose?' Naturally, Stefan was curious, and a bit suspicious, too.

'Nobody,' she lied quickly. 'I'm bringing it to Alaric's. For his birthday,' she came up with an excuse with dispatch.
'I see,' nodded Stefan. 'I think he'd more likely appreciate some bottle of alcohol,' he laughed.
'I'm sure Damon's giving him one,' stated Elena.
Stefan grinned. 'You're probably right,' he admitted. 'Are you going there right now? I'll join you. I'll wish him happy birthday, too... And I'll warn him about the disaster Caroline's been preparing for him.'
Out of nowhere, Car appeared beside them; there was a murderous look in her face. 'I hear everything,' she frowned at Stefan. 'It's not gonna be a disaster, it's gonna be a fabulous party. Right, Elena?' She looked for support from her friend.

'Right,' hummed Elena without knowing what she agreed with.
'See?' A victorious smile brightened up Caroline's pretty face.
'So are you coming, Elena?' Stefan goaded her.
'Yeah... Sure.'
'Are you ok?' worried Stefan when they shook Caroline off and they were heading towards Alaric's office. 'You're so distracted today.'
'I'm fine,' answered Elena in the strongest voice she could manage and she sped up.

The one and only thought kept spinning around in her head: How ON EARTH is she going to wriggle out of going to Alaric's party so she can go on a date with Klaus? And since when does she WANT to go on a date with Klaus?????