Chapter Twenty Five

Jeremy and I had moved to sit against the wall on his bed. He had his arm around me while my head was laying on his chest. These were the moments I wished happened more often.

"Do you ever get tired of everything?" Jeremy suddenly asked, breaking the silence between us.

"If you mean Meagan and Dad, then yes," I replied. I was so tired. Beyond tired actually.

"Have you ever thought of running away from it all?" He took by surprise when he asked. I've never really thought about running away, to be honest. I'd have nowhere to go.

"No, actually," I sighed.

"Why not?" He wondered.

"It's not like I'd have a place to go," I shrugged.

"True," He replied.

The silence between us returned once more. I'm so tired of silence. That's all I hear at home when Dad isn't in a rampage, and Mom doesn't bring home any... friends.

"Please talk," I muttered, looking up at him.

"About?" He raised his eyebrows at me.

"Anything. Anything at all," I answered. Jeremy tightened his arm around me, pulling me impossibly closer.

"Well, do you want to hear a really lame joke?" Jeremy smiled. I giggled and nodded, "What do you call a mushroom that likes to party?"

I thought for a second, "Hmm... I'm not sure."

"A fungi!" He yelled, a grin spreading across his handsome face. A grin of my own made its way to my lips.

"That's so corny!" I laughed,

"Well, those are the only jokes I know," He replied.

"Tell me more," I said, so, he did. We spent at least a half an hour telling really corny and lame jokes and laughing at them. Times like these made me forget about the hell I live in. It made me genuinely happy. It made the dark thoughts deep inside my mind disappear.

"Brianna?"

"Yes?" I wondered.

"How do you deal with your Dad and the bullying?" He asked innocently. My eyes widened at his question. I've been dreading this moment since he found out I was abused.

"I-I don't know. I just... think, I guess," I stuttered, looking up at Jeremy. He looked down at me and scrutinized me. His eyes flickered all around my face, trying to find any emotions or any signs that I was lying. To my dismay, he's really good at detecting my lies.

"Are you sure?" He raised his eyebrows at me. I gulped and nodded. I caught my self tugging my sleeves down as far as they'd go.

"A-Absolutely," I sent him a very fake smile. His eyes flickered down to my hands that were tugging at my sleeves.

"Why are you pulling your sleeves?" He wondered.

"No reason," I said, trying to sound as nonchalantly as possible.

"You aren't telling me the truth, Brianna," Jeremy concluded. I'll give him credit; he's a very smart and observant guy.

I looked at at my lap, ashamed of myself, "I know."

I herd him sigh before he basically pulled me so sit in front of him. I didn't stop him.

"What is it?"

I was conflicted. I didn't know if I should tell Jeremy I self harm. If I tell him, he could do one of two things. First, he could call me a freak and have nothing to do with me again. Or, he could except me for who I am, and continue to be my friend. I really didn't want him to reject me if I tell him.