two

~ T H E N ~

“Sarah, no, seriously!” I’m laughing and I don’t even know why but my best friend is giggling and teasing me about my sex life - or lack thereof.

“Come on, if you don’t then I will,” she yelled over the music which was so loud I could feel it shaking my insides, eyeing a boy sitting casually on a couch as he spoke to a mutual friend, Tom, a.k.a the birthday boy.

“Go ahead, I’m not-” but before I knew it, someone fell against Sarah who in turn shoved me slightly to steady herself, the fact that I wasn’t exactly sober playing in the fact that I went stumbling backward and falling – literally – into someone’s lap.

Whoa–hello,” a smooth and amused voice met my ears easily as arms caught me around the waist before I fell onto the floor and my hair immediately covered my view.

I groaned and pushed my hair away only to meet honey coloured eyes, more gold than it was brown and so full of amusement it made my cheeks heat up even more. “I am so sorry,” I apologised with a wince.

“Yeah, no, that’s cool; keep your heels on my thighs Mia, all good,” Tom leaned over to shout playfully as I removed my feet from his legs considering I somehow managed to sprawl my legs over his.

I made a sarcastic face at him and made a move to get up, but the arms around me wouldn’t budge so I had no choice but to look at the hot guy I’d previously been talking about with Sarah. I raised an eyebrow at him, my heart rate suddenly increasing as I noticed just how attractive he really was – the sharp jawline, perfectly even features, the tilt of his lips and the silky yet messy looking hair that adorned his head. “Can I help you?” I asked boldly, despite how giddy I was on the inside.

He smirked as he looked over at an amused Tom, his mouth opening to reply only to get cut off by a drunk and giggling girl who just so happened to be my best friend. “Holy shit!” was the first thing Sarah exclaimed as she fell – or more like forced herself – between Tom, the random and I. She looked at me and grinned, eyebrows wiggling, “I’d say I’m sorry for the shove but you look pretty fine to me.”

Cue in the blush.

And the chuckles.

But before I could even think of a retort, she was already turned toward Tom and talking to him, the body beneath me suddenly shifting as if to remind me he was still there.

Not that I needed any reminding.

Again I turned my head to look at him and say something, but for once he bet me to it, his smirk making any thought jumble up and keep me quiet. “Since you’re the one who fell on me; I suppose you could help me out a little,” he murmured, lips so close to my cheek and ear I could feel the heat of his breath.

I raised an eyebrow and turned my head a little more, thinking it would stop the tingles that was forming at the top of my spine but only finding myself face-to-face and inches away from his lips, “oh really, and what with exactly?” I asked, no longer having to shout over the loud music since we were so damn close to each other.

His smirk grew a little, a lopsided thing that was as imperfect as it was adorable. He leaned in closer. “You see,” he started, taking his hand off from my waist to trail it across my jawline, “I have this ex across the room – don’t look – and she’s kind of obsessed with me and she’s kind of waiting to jump me and I’m afraid that when she does I’ll be too polite to tell her to… well… fcuk off, to put it kindly.”

I smiled.

“So, you know, just putting it out there,” he muttered, the hand that reached my chin now trailing softly down my neck despite the bob when I swallowed.