Chapter Nine

"What are you doing up?" Blakes deep husky voice snapped me out of my staring match with my cup of coffee.

I glanced around to him. His blonde hair was sticking up in every direction. He was rubbing his eyes tiredly with the back of one of his hands and blinked a few times before his eyes landed on mine. He scanned what I was wearing and doing before fixing his gaze on my face. He was standing in only a pair of black boxers showing off his muscular body.

"Couldn't sleep" I replied back quietly and looked back down to my half a cup of cold coffee.

Blake walked in the kitchen and slumped down on the stool across from me. I could feel his curious stare against my head. Its not every morning you find me sitting in a pair of jeans and a hoodie by myself in total darkness.

"Its five thirty in the morning. The sun isn't even fully up yet" he said trying to get me to talk.

I just shrugged. What do I say to that? He has no idea that Ive been up for hours.

"Whats wrong?" He asked after a minute. He reached over and took my hand off the mug and entwined them. I looked over at our hands then up to him. "Please talk to me" he pleaded.

The way he was looking at me, all worried and exhausted made me waver a bit. If I wasn't the way I am I would have told him everything, but I am, I am stubborn and I don't like sharing my thoughts and feelings.

I would tell him everything in a heartbeat but I can't. The second I do that I won't be able to stop. I could be blunt with him but that'll just raise more questions. I could be blunt or tell him the full reason why I'm sitting here staring mindlessly at a cup of coffee at five thirty in the morning like it holds all my answers, like it's the most entertaining thing ever, but that will just make everyone worry and raise more attention to me. I dont need to add more concern to them. I cant place a bigger burden on them than I already am.

I dropped my head and shook it slightly pulling my hand away from his. I sighed and stood up walking over to the worktop across from the breakfast bar and leaned my back against it. I stuffed my hands in my pockets of my hoodie.

"Evie, what are you not telling us?" Blake was standing in front of me in a flash. He was bent down, his hands on my cheeks forcing me to hold his gaze. His hands were firm on my face, they were warm and soft. His blue eyes were staring intensely into mine. I searched his face, it was a mix of emotions: worry, seriousness, and most prominent panic.

Why is he panicked? I understand why he would worry but panic.

"Blake-" I started to say. I moved my head to the side and closed my eyes briefly.

"Evie, promise me if it is something serious you will tell me" he moved my face back so he could look me in the eye.

I took a deep breath and exhaled. "I promise" I gave him a small smile.

He took a step back and dropped his hands to his sides. His face was cold, emotionless. What is he thinking now? He opened his mouth and closed it again like he wanted to say something but something was holding him back. He sighed and ran his hand through his blonde hair that was getting thicker. He looked back at me, his blue eyes clouded.

"Want breakfast?" He asked changing the subject. I'm glad he done so, I was getting fed up with all this talking about me. Can everyone please let me deal with my fucked up feelings myself and in silence. And don't start on the whole they're just looking out for you because I know that. I just don't like it that's all.

"You can cook? Whatcha know" I teased.

"If by cook you mean breakfast, then yeah" he chuckled quietly. Good to see him back to himself.