Chapter Four: Death and Angels in Paris

Christine's Point of View:

"Oh, Papa. Please. Get well." I urged.
"I will try, child." choked my father.
"Christine, your father is dying." said Raoul's father.
"It doesn't mean that there is no hope." I told him.
My father was gravely ill and the doctors told him that nothing could help him. I wanted so badly for him to feel alive again. I wanted him to still sing for me and play the violin. I wanted him to continue reading me stories about music. I did not want to lose another parent. When I was just four years old, my mother had gotten gravely ill after eating poisonous wild berries. My father willed her to stay strong but she died after 3 days. Now my father lay dying and I couldn't help it at all. My father then reached out and held my hand and said "When I am in heaven, child. I will send you the Angel of Music."
"Oh, thank you Papa. I love you." I cried. "I love you too, Christine." and with that, he ascended into heaven. Raoul and his family annouced later that they were moving to Paris. They asked me to accompany them. What other choice did I have? I suppose I would be with Raoul. And I loved his family. I agreed.  We took the first train that day after I had packed up what I needed from my belongings. I sat on the train sad and lonely wanting to be with my father. I slept on Raoul's shoulder and dreamt of my angel. I woke up and thought to myself, Father did send me the Angel of Music! He kept his promise. I wonder if I will live like Little Lotte. When we arrived we stopped at the Opera Populaire, the most famous opera house in all of Europe. When we entered I was amazed by the marvelous artwork painted on the ceiling and the statues that glistened on the walls. In the giant lobby Raoul and his family were met by the head of the Opera house. They talked and we were taken on a tour of the entire Opera house. I wondered about how proud Papa would be up in heaven if I performed on that giant stage one day. We were also shown a small wing to the west of the stage. It was a small room with a window and a cushion to ponder your thoughts on. I saw all the ballerinas and decided right then that I did not want to live with Raoul and his family. I wanted to live in the Opera Populaire and study to be a ballerina. I wanted to make my father proud. I explained my situation to Raoul and his parents they left me to find my way. Confused, I wandered around the Populaire unaware of where to go or who to talk to. I accidently ran into a lean, tall fairly pretty woman about old enough to be my mother. 
"Oh, my goodness Madame! I am so sorry!" I apologized, horrified and embarrassed.
"Don't fret, Child. You are fine. Are you all alone?"
"Yes, Madame. I am an orphan. My name is Christine Daae. I am looking to become a ballerina but I don't know who to talk to."
"You have ran into the right woman, dear. My name is Madame Giry. I am the Ballet instructor here at the Opera Populaire. We would love your company here. You can live with me and my daughter Meg Giry in the dormatories of this opera house. Meg is about your age." She smiled.
"Thank you, Madame. You are very kind."
I brought my favorite belonging to the pondering room. A family tree in which you can light a candle for your loved ones. I had placed a picture of my father in the front. I lit a candle and prayed.
Dear Lord, Thank you for blessing me by letting me live here with Madame Giry. Please tell my father I love him and thank him for sending me the Angel of Music. In your name, Amen.
I blew out the candle and returned to Madame Giry.
"It is time to go to bed, Christine. We start rehearsing tomorrow."
"Yes, Madame."
That night, I heard a voice. This voice was singing to me. It said "Close your eyes, let your spirit start to soar! And you'll live as you've never lived before!" I was asleep, unaware yet I heard his voice. His voice sang to me a beautiful song, as I dreamt about dancing with my angel. I woke, amazed by my dream and heard a voice whisper my name.
"Christine.....Christine...." 
"Madame Giry?"
"Christine, I need you to sing for me, Child." The soft voice purred.
"Who are you? Where are you? Angel?!"
"I am your Angel of Music, don't be afraid. Your father has told me to teach you to sing.
"I don't know what to sing!" I complained.
"Sing your favorite song." he persuaded 
"Little Lotte let her mind wander," I started 
"Little Lotte thought am I fonder of dolls or of goblins or shoes? Or of chocolates? No, What I love best Lotte said, is when I'm asleep in my bed and the angel of music sings songs in my head, the angel of music sings songs in my head." I finished, very confused.
"You have an exceptional voice, darling.
"I do?" I wondered
"Yes. Do you accept me as your teacher?" 
"Yes, angel. I do." 

 ---
Little Lotte and Music of the Night belong to Andrew Lloyd Webber. None of these characters are mine.  Remember, Eriks part takes place far before christines, they are just being told at the same time, in the next chapter I will skip eriks part ahead a few years to catch up with what I have written here. Gustaves dying line is also from the film