Chapter Two: My Scarf

Christine's Point of View:

"Papa, is Raoul coming over today?" I asked excitedly.

"Yes, child," He smiled, "He'll be over shortly"

"Yay! Thank you Papa!" I squealed.

Raoul was my very best friend and we got along quite well together. We read each other stories and played on the beach and we listened to my father play the violin. Raoul called me Little Lotte because she was one of the characters we read about. Little Lotte was blessed with an angel of music who sang her songs and was her friend. I had always wanted my own angel of music. I already knew who it was though! My Papa! Papa was my angel of music because he was such a kind man and he played the violin and sang. Sometimes Papa would sing me to back to sleep if I had a nightmare. His voice calmed me and I had wonderful dreams about dancing and singing. 

"Little Lotte, I have arrived!" I heard a familiar voice call out.

"Raoul! I am so happy you could come! Papa said he would take you and I down to the beach today!"

"Did he? Thank you Mr. Daae."

"You are welcome, Raoul," Papa replied. "We will leave in an hour."

"Okay, sir." Raoul nodded.

"Raoul lets go upstairs and get ready!"

I had a trunk of old dresses, scarves, hats and gloves that belonged to my mother in the attic. Sometimes I would look through the trunk for things to wear on special days.

"What a pretty red scarf!" I exclaimed. "Do you like it Raoul?"

"It's very pretty," he smiled "just like you!"

Raoul always had the most flattering compliements.

"You think I'm pretty Raoul?" I questioned.

"You are beautiul Christine! Now let's go downstairs and eat before we have to leave."

Papa made Raoul and I some warm soup for lunch because it was fairly cold outside.

"Now are you children sure you would like to go to the beach on a day such as this?"

"A day such as what, Papa?" I wondered.

"It is raining, Child. The beach will be cold." He said.

"I would still love to go! How about you Raoul?"

"Nothing would make me happier" He smiled.

So, with my pretty red scarf and my best friend, I ventured off to the beach. Raoul and I ran and played 'tl we couldn't breathe.

"You children be careful" Warned Papa, sitting in the sand.

"Don't worry Papa! We are fine!" I assured him.

Raoul and I danced along like two birds of a feather, hand in hand down the beach. We sang,

"Little Lotte let her mind wander!" I started

"Little Lotte thought 'Am I fonder of dolls or of goblins or shoes?'" he sang.

"'Or of riddles or frocks? Or of chocolates?'"

Then we both sang,

"'No, what I love best, ' Lotte Said, 'Is when I'm asleep in my bed. And the angel of music sings songs in my head, the angel of music sings songs in my head!"

Right then my pretty red scarf flew of my neck towards the ocean. "Oh, no!" I exclaimed.

"Don't worry Christine, I will fetch your scarf!" Raoul declared heroically.

He stepped into the ocean and just barely caught my scarf. The waves crashed upon his clothes and got him all wet. Standing with the scarf in hand, cold as ice he said "I did it!"

"Oh dear," cried Gustave. "We have to get you back home. I don't want you to get sick."

"Yes sir." Agreed Raoul sadly. "I'm sorry I ruined our day at the beach, Christine."

"That's alright Raoul! You didn't ruin it! You are a hero because you fetched my scarf!" I praised him.

"Thank you, Thank you!" He bowed and winked at me.

We got home and Raoul changed into some of Papa's childhood clothes. Papa put on a fire downstairs as we read some dark stories of the north, just the way I liked it.

---------

Again, The Phantom of the Opera does not belong to me. The songs used in this chapter are Andew Lloyd Webber's and this chapter was based on events in both the film and the musical.