Chapter Three: Organs and Dancing

Erik's Point of View:

Now, I had for myself a decent home. Antoinette came by every meal time and gave me all the food she didn't eat. I tried to save it. I had found some tools and objects down there that had been long abandoned by the Opera. Things like props from the various productions, posters and wigs. I played with them like toys and found myself enjoying every bit of it. One day, I had run down to the dormatories when the ballerinas were on a field day to take my first bath. I didn't feel like the Devil's Child anymore. I felt when the dirt washed off my skin I became a different child. A child seeking revenge on the cold, compassionless world around him. I got out of my bath and went back to my cave. When I got there I washed my clothes in the bottemless lake. Later that day, when my clothes were mostly dry I looked deeper into the cave. On the wall, a beautiful pipe organ lay. Layered with dust it cleary hadn't been played in years. Something must be wrong with it I thought to myself. No one would just abandon a perfectly good organ. I went over to the organ and pressed a key. It was very quiet, but an audible noise exited the pipes. I went to my pile of props in hopes to find something to fix the organ with. I found a piece of metal from an abandoned stage set. I took it and tried my best to fashion it into a tool. I had no idea what I was doing, but eventually I got the organ to play normally. Some of these people must be really idiotic. A 9 year old fixed an organ they thought could never be used again. Satisfied with my accomplishment, I sat down on the organ bench and touched the keys. What a strange sound... I observed. I pushed down all the keys that I could with my two small hands only to hear a truly loathsome sound. I tried and I tried but I could not make a good sound come out of the abandoned instrument. Finally I decided that I'd try again tomorrow as I crawled into my makeshift bed of old curtains and blankets. When I woke up, I realized the Antoinette was standing cautiously above me. She looked amused by drowsiness.

"Antoinette, what are you doing here?" I asked, suprised.

"I came to offer you a spot in the ballerinas of the Opera Populaire."

"I am a boy. Boy's cannot be ballerinas." I protested. 

"Ah, but many boys are! We are in desperate need of a male ballerina and you are the only other male I know besides the actors and stagehands here." She explained.

"What makes you think I'd be any good at dancing? I have no training at all!" 

"That's why you would come down and live in the dormatories. To get training. I had no training either, Erik. That's why I am here."

"But you are a girl. Girls are born graceful. I am a stumbly boy who has never taken a solid step in life. Can't you find another boy?"

"Erik, we have one girl who never ties her pointe shoes tight enough, so she is always tripping on her laces. Not all girls are born graceful. No, we cannot find another boy. I told my instructor that I knew a boy who might be willing, so she told me to get you so you can audition."

"Well, I refuse." I scoffed.

"Please, Erik after all that I've done for you. You are my only true friend. Will you please help me?"

"No. I can't leave this place. No one can know that there is a boy living down here and I would appreciate it if it stayed that way."

"And I really thought you were a true friend, Erik" She started to cry as she walked away.

Who cares about her? I have a great home. I don't need a friend. I have music. I thought to myself as I got up to play my organ once more. 

---------

Again, The Phantom of the Opera belongs to Gaston Leroux and Andrew Lloyd Webber. All of the characters are theirs.