Lethal Misfits (3)

Lethal Misfits

Chapter 3

Iris

He was cleaning.

I hadn't seen a boy this conscious about dirt in my whole life. Drew was perhaps the most dirt loving person in the world - his room harbored centuries old stuff and mud clad shoes that he probably wore somewhere in sixth grade. His excuse was; having a knack for ancient stuff and refused to acknowledge that the stuff he kept there was meant to be thrown in garbage.

And who cares about assumptions? Surprise: this guy did. Either he had all the time in the world or he was too optimistic to come up with ideas. This place was weird - an old warehouse that they were illegally using, taking advantage of the rumors around the place. Who were these people anyways?

I stared at him - he couldn't be older than twenty. And the way he acted showed he was the leader of their group; he couldn't be a gangster, would he? Gangsters didn't run if people chased them, they stop and shoot each other, slashed throats, sprayed blood on the walls - and Johnny Law still looked healthy enough to me.

I cleared my throat and he looked at me with the expression he had been giving me ever since he 'accidentally' saved my life. I was a nuisance for him, something he couldn't possibly wait to free himself from. Never mind, the feeling was mutual.

''Do you need something?'' Even if I did need something I would never ask him, my impression about him was already imprinted as an asshole and a prick. I hated making guys feel that I depend on them.

''Why were you running from those men?'' I asked, remembering the things they were shouting at him. His friends were obviously still running for their lives. Johnny sighed and didn't answer; maybe it was a very confidential matter.

''I don't think I should tell you that.'' That was way too blunt. I had to admit, despite the rough start there were some similarities between us.

''Are you gangsters?''

''What makes you think that?'' He looked like he was really offended by the statement. He had no right to blame me though - what did he expected me to guess? Circus Performers? Actors? Theater People? Extras?

''Maybe you are not gangster but you're something. I mean, you were running, those men acted like they would murder you any chance they get. And you guys are a group - you can be anything; spies, gangsters, detectives.''

''Do you really wanna know?'' He was challenging me, his brow raised high on his forehead and a wary smirk on his lips. He wasn't looking like burnette version of Johnny Bravo anymore; he was probably more like a dark haired version of Draco Malfoy.

''Don't worry, I've seen worst situations in life and you're no danger to me.'' I felt like I was sounding too desperate to know all his secrets and he thought so too.

''Yeah right, who was screaming in a high pitched cheerleader voice when I was saving their life?'' I narrowed my eyes,

''Mind you, I was a cheerleader once.''

''I already guessed, that voice can only belong to a cheerleader.'' He was just trying to provoke me, I could sense his cleverness in the air.

''You weren't letting me go, how could I've fight you then?'' His eyes widened for a fraction of second and he got up from the floor, walking to one of the wooden boxes where I sat.

''You can fight?'' I grinned broadly for the first time, feeling pride swelling up inside me. If he just knew what connection I shared with my skills - it was something that always made me think of Dad, the way his chest would puff out when I won local contests or class competitions. It was our thing, like a personal source of happiness, an open secret. Dad was the busiest person in our family, still he always dropped me to my classes and stayed for first ten minutes, just to watch me fight, not caring for getting late.