Lethal Misfits (16)

Lethal Misfits - 16

Iris

By the time I had finished asking people on the first three floors, I was panting. I leaned against the wall for support and had an urge to drink a tank of water, trying not to pay attention to the burning sensation flooding my lungs. I knew should have brought a bottle with me but I was in such a hurry that I had forgotten. I wondered how far Johnny had gone. He had to be faster than me.

The worst part was that the plan seemed to be falling apart. I had asked more than ten people now, facing their insults and disgruntled behavior and keeping my patience as well, it was all futile. Nobody knew a guy named Steve Bradley here.

I knew it! This place was wrong.

Either he had called from this address to mislead anyone if they tried to contact back and trace him. That confirmed my suspicions - there was something big that he was hiding, something too dangerous for him that he couldn't risk me to find it. And now I was more than determined to do so.

I got off the wall and with renewed vigor I began to march on the next floor and interrogate the people there.

The first person on the next floor that came across me was an old fat woman who was too drunk for her own good. She was trying hard to keep her balance and reach the correct apartment. I wondered if it was okay to help her, after all I didn't want to end up in some sort of trouble.

She sang a merry song that had lost all it's merriness in her voice and I approached her cautiously. She gave me a glance and a wide grin spread on her face. Either she was one of those people who were too happy and had nothing else to do with their lives or she was truly depressed and was drowning in liquor to soothe her sorrows.

''Excuse me, do you know-''

''Angellllaaaaa!!!!!'' she half shrieked, alerting the people passing by and startling me. I backed away feeling nervous, deciding it wasn't a good idea at all.

Before I could scramble away, she grabbed my elbow with vice like grip and looped a beefy arm around my shoulder, the weight suffocating me, ''Where are you going Angelllllaaaa? I found you, I found you!''

I winced as she clapped my back, like a proud moma and started laughing like a total retard. I struggled to free myself from her grasp but to my horror she was leading me towards her apartment.

''Hey, wait I-''

''Don't worry Angela. We'll talk and catch up on the old times.'' She yelled in my ear, I wanted to remind her that they worked perfectly well and I could hear her fine but decided otherwise. I didn't have time for this shit.  

''Um excuse me, but that's my Angela.'' I sighed in relief as the woman turned to face Johnny; he was panting and stood hunkered with hands resting on his knees.

''Oh?'' The woman seemed to realize that I wasn't Angela and let go of my shoulder, stepping back and hitting the wall, ''Where did she go then?'' she started blabbering something under her breath as Johnny grabbed my hand and led me away from the narrow corridor.

''That was so close!'' I cried when I was sure we were away from the crazy woman, ''damn it she was determined to take me away.''

''We're not here to discuss that Angela,'' He hushed me,

I glared at him, ''don't call me that!''

''Iris,'' he spoke, ''it's kind of strange but nobody knows any Steve Bradley around here.''

''I know, there was no luck on my side. I asked so many people who have been living in this place for six or seven years, even more than that. Nobody knows Steve.''