Lethal Misfits (27) [ Final Chapter ]

Lethal Misfits - 27 [ F  I  N  A  L      C  H  A  P  T  E  R ]

Johnny

We looked stupid.

Usually when people visit hospitals, they would limit their numbers but there we were. We six idiots, Marian and Drew, gathered outside a room and looking like a band of morons. Everyone who passed kept giving us weird looks; at least the twins didn't tag along. When Kenji was finally allowed to come home, I told him that Steve Bradley was admitted to the hospital so he could recover better and Kenji immediately decided he wanted to visit him. It was hard to argue with a guy who had been strapped to his supposed sick bed for so many days. What was Calla thinking when she did that? No, why did Calla do it in the first place? Was she a sadist from a flopped horror film?

''Ugh, how long are they gonna take?'' Calla muttered checking her wrist watch every now and then.

''Let them sort it out.'' Sully said gruffly, ''I'm going to get some food.'' For the first time I didn't stop him or made a comment and let him go, the lesser the people the lesser the stares we got.

''Can I come too?'' Marian piped in, she looked excited somehow. Sully gave her an interested look, food freaks...

''Sure''

''Man, is it over already?'' I shot Rowell a heated look,

''You guys shouldn't have come if it's such a bother!'' I snapped, irritation flaring in me. I had been sick of hearing their whining for the past twenty minutes. We were in a hospital for crying out loud! Why did they have to be so complicated?

Just in time Iris poked her head out, ''Guys, he wants to meet y'all.'' Everybody sighed and file inside the room. It had been two weeks since James got arrested for the fraud and things were slowly coming together. Steve looked much better now, there was more color on his cheeks and he was active than before. Though he was good to go home now, Iris said it was better to hire a nurse for the next few days, just to make things easier.

They hadn't really sorted out the matters; they never got time for that. But judging from the radiant look on Iris face, things were better now. I hadn't seen her like this before but I was glad that she was finally finding her peace of mind.

''Hello Mr. Bradley'' We chorused, he seemed amused.

''I hope you're feeling alright now.'' Alice added politely,

''Yes, I am fine now. Thanks to everyone here, especially you for taking care of me.'' She smiled gratefully,

''Not a problem sir.''

He sighed and glanced around at all of us, ''I really must thank you kids. I never expected to be back on track like this, but you made it possible. I never expected to be betrayed like this, but anyhow let not talk about that anymore,'' he fixed his gaze on Drew then who looked visibly flushed by the encounter. What a shy kid...

''You look just like your grandfather, it takes me back to good times.'' I exchanged a look with Iris, she nodded to me. It meant that they had had that conversation already.

''I am not aware of the matters with the will, but I believe the current one is being referred to as true?'' he asked this to Iris who nodded, ''I have already decided to sign the attorney. Do not worry Iris, you will get everything that you rightfully belonged and I will return back-''

''I'm sorry to interrupted to Uncle Steve,'' she suddenly interjected, looking solemn, ''but I don't think that should be the case.''

''Hey! Didn't you want it back?'' Calla cried, ''that was our goal from the start right?'' I touched her arm, making her quiet again.