Aim, Fire...Scream

Chapter 31

Going behind enemy lines, we got an up close and personal look at the opulent lobby of the grandest entertainment venue in all of Hell. A stones throw away from Detroit, Michigan, the previously abandoned theater was once the pride of a booming economy built on steel. Now just a shadow if its former glory, The Plaza had become not only a victim of urban decay, but also a symbol of an entire communities decline.

But that didn't make it any less majestic.

Especially since Serenity had swooped in and re-decorated the place for tonight's festivities. The Gothic-Punk inspired theme featured painted black walls with crimson-red silks that draped down from a lofty three-story balcony to pool on the shiny marble floor like blood. Ancient looking black lace blanketed row after row of tables, while fresh red roses, silver crosses, thick chains, and skulls hung suspended from heavy silver chandeliers.

"You can take off your coat and place it here," Luna ordered as she removed her cloak. Following her direction, I placed my jacket inside an alcove tucked underneath an impressive wide staircase, leading to the upper balconies.

Moments later, a woman in her early twenties appeared out of thin air. Dressed in a sleek, full-length black dress, the sash she wore tied around her narrow waist reminded me of a Gypsy. After hanging up our belongings, she silently slipped Luna a gold token.

Tucking it in a fold in her own skirt, Luna turned to me and said, "Remove your violin, leave the case here with Yesenia, and follow me."

Irritated at being ordered around like a child, I flicked open the clasps, grabbed my instrument, and shoved the case harder than I meant to at Yesenia. She gave a smirk and sauntered away, looking every inch like a beautiful seductress with olive skin, long wavy chestnut hair, and icy pale blue eyes that peered out from behind a Zorro mask, making her seem distant and cold.

I begrudgingly followed Luna up to the first balcony. From there I had a birds-eye view of the gathering below. Built to accommodate at least three thousand people, the folding seats had all been torn out, resulting in one ginormous mosh pit—complete with bubbling cauldrons filled to the brim with an eerie green liquid that glowed in the darkness. I couldn't help noticing how the only light cast from the full moon, shown through a gaping hole where the roof must've caved in long ago from disrepair.

How convenient.

A sudden thought made shivers race up and down my spine. With so many witches all practicing the dark art of magic, the feeling in the massive room was like pure concentrated evil.

"As you make your way to the stage, try to blend in like me," Luna whispered in my ear.

I glanced at her astonishingly premature white hair and frowned. She stood out in a crowd like a sore thumb. "Yeah. You blend."

Sounds of musicians warming up wafted to my ears, making my fingertips tingle with the anticipation of playing my violin again. I couldn't even begin to recall how long it had been. One month? Two?

"You go get settled," Luna began. "I'll stay here to keep an eye on things." I started to walk away when she reached out an arm and stopped me dead in my tracks. "Just remember to wait for my signal."

Tossing her my best be-careful-I-bite glare, I waited for her to release me. "Don't worry, I'm not stupid."

Luna nodded, but for some strange reason I didn't think she believed me. About the waiting part, that is.