Word Vomit

Chapter 3

Adam scooted a clangy metal chair next to my bed and sat down – never making eye contact while he peered at notes on his clip-board as if studying for an exam. Satisfied he'd soaked up enough incriminating information about me to last a lifetime, he finally raised his head.

   "One of my roles as a Psychologist is to meet with patients like you who have suffered a traumatic event. As I stated earlier, once Dr. Stevens reads my notes conducted from this interview, he will decide if you are stable enough to return home, or if you need to remain in the hospital for further evaluation, including possible medication. Do you understand?"

   I nodded. "Sure. You're a dandified drug dealer. Unless you like the answers I give while you cranially abuse me, you'll turn into a Psychomagician and pull shit out of your ass to get me thrown in the nut house."

    He lifted both brows and made a note before asking, "I'm curious, where did the name Chaos come from?"

    Leaning forward, I smoothed the sheet covering my legs and let my thoughts drift. So Adam wanted to start at the beginning, did he? "I got the name from my dad. He told my mom that I would be destined to cause chaos. She took him literally. He left before I was born and she named me to remind her of him."

Little did she know of my true destiny at the time.

    "So, you never knew your father?"

    I shook my head. "Nope. Never."

    Adam made another note. "Have you been feeling depressed lately?"

    My eyes went wide. "Depressed? No. I wouldn't say I'm depressed. More like eternally annoyed with my life."

    "So, you didn't try to commit suicide by jumping into a body of water to drown yourself?"

   I shook my head again.

   "Does that mean you were pushed?"

    I scrunched my brows tightly together in protest. "First of all, I wasn't pushed into the Devil's Soupbowl. I fell. And second of all, I didn't fall on purpose, I was pois..." The word died in my throat. Adam had out maneuvered me, and I hadn't even seen it coming. Tricky. Very, very tricky.

    Point for him.

    I took a deep calming breath, refusing to spew word vomit again.

    Point for me.

    Meeting his satisfied gaze, I folded my arms over my chest. "I fell on accident. That's all you need to know."

    Adam smiled knowingly and scribbled a note. "Dr. Stevens requested a copy of your medical history. I see here that you had some kind of accident on your birthday that required over fourteen hundred stitches. Can that be right?" He paused to peer up at me. If possible, he looked even more smokin' hot than before.

   It was annoying as hell.

    "What's your point?"

    Clearing his throat, he continued. "My point is that it's only been five days since the accident. And yet, there's not a single blemish on your skin. You don't strike me as the type of girl who worries about appearances, or who hides behind expertly applied makeup."

    Was that supposed to be an insult, or a compliment?

    I narrowed my eyes. "Aaand?"

    "And, it's not possible to recover from the type of injuries you sustained in such a short amount of time."

    Like my mother, he wanted answers I wasn't willing to give. I decided to play along. For now, anyway.

    "Meaning?"

    Adam leaned forward with a highly calculated look in his pretty boy eyes that made me forget what we were talking about. But only for a second or two before he replied. "Meaning, I don't have all of your lab work back yet. However, as far as I can tell, there's something..." He paused to search for the right words before adding, "highly unusual about your blood."

    Great, just great. With both human and angelic blood coursing through my veins, I'd just voluntarily handed him an excuse to probe me like some kind of extraterrestrial freak.

    God, could I possibly be any more stupid!