Truth, Lies, and Magic

Chapter 28

I drove back to Vomitville, parked the Fury next to the cemetery again, and begrudgingly followed Luna behind the church.

"This is where I like to perform all of my magic rituals. But only at night so I can be bathed by the light of the moon and draw on its power."

"Whatever charges your batteries," I mumbled.

The place creeped me out at night, but it creeped me out even worse in the daytime. Since the sun had only just started to rise on the horizon, hazy morning light diffused by a dense mist cast an eerie greenness to a thick fog that rolled over the ground, partially obscuring the tombstones in the distance and making them look more like graveyard ghouls.

"This is my pride and joy," Luna smiled, patting the side of a gigantinormous black pot - otherwise known as a cauldron. Bigger must definitely mean better. To a witch, anyway.

"How do you figure we're going to move this thing, let alone lift it in the car?" I groaned, placing my hands on my hips. "It has to weigh two tons, at the very least."

"Ye of little faith," Luna retorted. Taking out a long white feather from a fold in her robe, she waved it back and forth in the air while reciting an incantation.

"Gather 'round

Powers abound

Light as air we prepare

Light as a feather we lift together."

Luna nodded, and I knew that was my cue. We lifted at the same time and the heavy iron cauldron simply floated on air. I'd never really believed in magic before, but after we placed the pot effortlessly in the back of the Fury, I believed.

"Aren't we gonna look just a little bit ridiculous driving around with this thing sticking out of the trunk?"

Luna tilted her head to the side. "Would you prefer I used a cloaking spell to make it invisible?"

My eyes went wide. "You can do that?"

Without answering, Luna waved the white feather around in the air again.

"Undetected, out of sight

Shrouded by darkness, black as night

For none to know, none shall see

As I have spoken, so mote it be."

When the cauldron didn't disappear, I figured the spell was a dud. Luna seemed strangely satisfied as she headed to the rose garden.

"I need to gather the necessary ingredients to perform protection spells," she tossed over her shoulder. Walking around the garden she paused to pluck different kinds of plants out of the ground. "Herbs, especially flowers and leaves, must all be picked fresh the day you plan to use them. Otherwise, the potency of your ingredients are greatly reduced. And trust me, when it comes to defying Serenity, we're going to need all the help we can get."

"Um, what about the cloaking spell?" I called out.

Luna turned to peer at me from under the hood of her cloak. "What about it?"

I gave an eye roll. "Duh! It didn't work."

"Of course it worked," she laughed. "The only reason you can still see the cauldron is because you know it's there. Trust me, Chaos, you've been spared the embarrassment of having to drive around with my pot in your trunk."

Something about that statement seemed so wrong.

Resigned to following her around the garden, I found myself plagued by questions. "Do you think it's possible to undo all that Serenity has done?"