Angel of Deception

Chapter 6

I opened my mouth in an attempt to interrogate my friends, only to snap it shut when I felt a presence behind me.

    And not just any presence.

    This one was clearly...angelic.

    "Thomas!" I cried, performing a ghastly pirouette in my chunky borrowed boots, almost landing smack on my face.

    Regaining my composure, I quickly realized that the person following me wasn't Thomas.

    Not even close.

   With an elegant nose, a smile to die for, and shoulder length pale blonde hair that swept across his broad forehead, he looked like a male Barbie doll. Even his skin was pale and flawless, which stood out in stark contrast to an animal sexuality that cloaked him like a blanket of mystery. But perhaps what caught my attention the most was his eyes. They flashed like jewels each time he looked directly at me – the color a bright, sparkling lavender amethyst.

    No "normal" person looked like that.

    I was starting to think my first impression of him had been correct. He did look like a life-size Ken doll.  

   Right then all I really, really wanted to know was why did every angel I encountered have to be so crazy delicious looking. Like they were sculpted by Aphrodite herself.

    With the exception of me, of course.

    I just stood there lost in his wild gaze, willing myself to look away and failing miserably.

    That's when I felt it.

    Something passed through me sent from him. I wouldn't call it passion exactly, but close. More like an overpowering animal magnetism.

    I didn't like it, not one little bit.

    Angel or not, he was seriously getting on my very last nerve.

    I opened my mouth in protest to say, "Back up off me, Ken..." but the words came out sounding more like, "Bash um off meh, Ken."

    Not very commanding, but hey...at least I tried.

    The sounds of people talking and footsteps scurrying about the crowded lobby made it nearly impossible to carry on a conversation. I strained my ears until, suddenly, it was almost as if he and I were the only ones standing in the massive room.

   His answering voice was a deep purr of power, meant for my ears only. "I wouldn't attempt to convince your friends that they look like a pack of zombies, if I were you."

   I raised an eyebrow, breaking free of his charm. "And what are you, the zombie patrol?"

   He shook his head. "Not exactly."

   Tapping my toe impatiently, I groaned, "Then what do you want, Ken?"

   "Why do you keep calling me Ken?"

   I slowly inspected every inch of him as if he were a tray full of delectable deserts. Dressed formally...uh, make that mostly formally, he had on a pair of black tuxedo pants, a dark purple dress shirt with the sleeves rolled up, and a black tuxedo vest. A matching purple handkerchief lay folded gracefully in one pocket. He looked like a life size Ken doll dressed up as an insanely hot magician.

   I heaved a sigh. "It's kinda obvious, isn't it?"

   He frowned. "You need to get your eyes checked."