Chapter three.

“What’s wrong? Why are you crying?”

I looked up to those piercing chocolate milk eyes that were staring at me intensively. They were deep glossy brown eyes that intimidated me every time I looked straight at them. His thick dark eyebrows didn’t help at that matter. Then, my eyes darted to the rest of his face. His ebony skin looked so soft and smooth. His lips looked so full and big, and his nose was well-defined. His face features didn’t seem harsh at all to me. They were well balanced, I thought.

I cleared my throat and looked away. He used his index and thump fingers to bring me to look back up at him.

 “Tell me what’s wrong.” He said in a low voice.

 I hesitated for a moment, then I blurted it all out.

 “I saw my father kissing another woman.” I cried harder.

 His eyes widened then he recovered from the shock moments after that and took me in a bone crashing hug.

 In moments like this, I would never know what to say to console someone. But Matt did. He released me from the hug and looked straight through me.

“Let it all out.  Don’t hold it back in. Go talk to him, confront him and say you saw him with another woman. Hear what he’s got to say about this.” His eyes sparkled with a hint of playfulness and mischief, then he continued. ”It might be the woman who threw herself at him. I understand that. I mean girls do that to me all the time.” Smirking, he looked down at me.

 Normally I would use a smart, maybe sarcastic comeback. But that day I just smiled back at him, because he succeeded in cheering me up, with a simple, lame joke.

That was when I realized he was always going to be the one for me. The only one I could ever love.

“It’s time for your physiotherapy, Amber.”  Called Kevin, the nurse , while entering my hospital room.

During the last week, we got to know each other more.After apologizing for snapping at me, and saying he was just having a bad day because him and his wife got into a fight, I got to see the friendly side of him. He was easy to talk to, he got me to open up to him, and to both my brother Chris and involuntarily, my psychologist. I felt a lot better letting it out, I would cry my brain out every time I had the chance to privacy. And I would tear up in front of my family or the hospital staff, occasionally.

He told me that he was newly married, just a few months ago, and that he had a 2 year old, little girl named Jessie. He thought I reminded him a lot of her. Whicht i found ridiculous, seeing as the girl could barely make out a proper English sentence. But he insisted that I was as stubborn, and hard-headed as her. As I said, we got to know each other more.

 “I don’t wanna go.” I whined. He rolled his eyes and helped me with another nurse, get to my wheeling chair.

 “You know you have to, so cut the act.”

 I scowled at him and followed him, or should I say let him lead me. 

“I can’t do it anymore it hurts.” I screamed. Kevin gave me a reassuring smile and the physiotherapist shook his head in disapproval.

 “You have to be patient, if you want to gain the 30% of control back” He stated.

I was in one of the exhausting physiotherapies again, and it was torture. I had to push over my limits each time. The exercises became harder every time, and I wasn’t baring it. I knew it was the best thing to do, so that I’ll be ready for surgery within a few months from now. It had already been a month now, and the doctors said I wasn’t making any progress.