Part 10

Chapter 9

Will glanced around the room one last time, almost expecting Annabelle to jump from behind a chair, but the only people in the study were him and Zachary.  With a sigh, Will looked towards his driver.  “Do you know where she ran?”  Zachary’s eyes darted towards the doorway, but the man simply shook his head.  Will stared at him, watching as the younger man fidgeted on his feet.  It had been Cassie who taught him to watch people’s movements.  She had taught Will that people could tell you what they are thinking if you simply watch them, and at that moment, Will knew that Zachary was keeping something from him.  “Tell me.”

“Have you spoken to Mr. Dumont lately?” Zachary asked with a hesitant expression on his face.

Will chuckled.  “You mean Ramsey?  Yes.  I spoke to him only moments after Miss Nicholson ran.  He was not too happy with me.”

Zachary glanced away before turning towards William with new resolve on his face.  “It is just that the two of them seem to be very,” the man’s eyes darted away as if he did not want to say his next word, “close.”

A laugh flew from William’s mouth, but when Zachary simply stared with a blank expression on his face, Will felt his smile slip.  What did the man mean?  Ramsey had expressed his feelings clearly; he wanted no relationship with Annabelle except a sisterly one.  Still, the thought that Zachary had thought the two were more than friends bothered William.

“They have a unique relationship, I admit, but Ramsey is a trusted friend.”

His tone was cold, and William would have apologized if it weren’t for the glint in Zachary’s eyes.  Just as it was there though, it disappeared; making Will wonder if it had truly been there to begin with.

“I did not mean to offend you,” Zachary said while bowing his head slightly.  “I give you my deepest, most sincere apologies.”

Will opened his mouth to reply, but when the study doors were thrown open, he snapped his mouth shut and turned towards their new arrival.  Annabelle stood there, her chin held high and her eyes on him.  “If I may speak with you for a moment?”

“If you will excuse me,” Zachary mumbled loud enough for Annabelle to hear him.

 Her eyes darted towards the driver, and her face flushed red.  “I did not see you there,” she mumbled before her voice turned steady.  “You may stay, Zachary.”

“Miss Nicholson,” William started, but when she held a hand up for him to quiet, his mouth snapped shut for the second time that night.

“I am a strong woman, Prince William, and while I may be punished for speaking to you in such a way, I will take the chance.”  She took a step towards him, her eyes flashing with confidence, and William had to fight to keep a smile from his face.  He could interrupt the woman, tell her that he had never thought her weak, but with the glare on her face, and her hands on her hips, he knew that no matter what he said, she would continue.  “I have been laughed at before, by many people, but never by someone who I had thought to be my friend.  Call me naïve if you wish, but I thought you an honorable person.”

“Annabelle—”

“I need to finish,” she whispered, and when he looked in her eyes, he realized that she was being honest with him.  Whatever had happened in this woman’s past, whatever people had done to her, it still haunted her. 

William nodded at her.  “I understand.”

A half smile curled her lips.  “I think you may.”  Shaking her head, she took a deep breath.  “It was wrong of me to question your honor, but you hurt me, William.  Whether you meant to or not, you did.  I will not stand for it any longer.  Tonight, a friend showed me the errors in my ways.  He told me that if I wish to be seen as a strong person, I must show that person to the world.”