Part 6

Chapter 5

Holding her breath, she pressed her back further into the seat and prayed that William would leave the room.  As soon as his footsteps faded, she let out a gasp of relief.  It was her own fault for being in this situation to begin with.  If Annabelle had just announced herself when she entered earlier, she would not be hiding behind the gargantuan chair.  She had walked in, her notepad in her hand and a smile on her face, but as soon as she saw William embracing someone, she had darted behind the chair.  It was a cowardly act, one that she herself was ashamed of.

What other choice did she have?  Walking in on William holding a woman against his body while she professed her love to him was something that Annabelle would prefer not to witness.  Not only did she witness their intimate moment, but she could not keep her ears from hearing their conversation.  The woman was married!  What a scandal her newfound friend would create if anyone learned of their trysts.  Nodding her head, Annabelle stood to her feet.  If one day, the woman’s husband learned of the deception, it would not be Annabelle to tell the man.  Manners such as these were better left between families.

Shifting her pad and pencil to one hand, she used the other to brush the back of her dress off.  She would hate to listen to another of her sister’s tirades about how ridiculous Annabelle looked with dirt on her bum.

“I was wondering when you would show your face.”

With a shriek, she threw her notepad at the intruder.  As it made contact with the woman’s face, Annabelle winced.  It was the same woman from earlier, the one who William had held so tightly.  “I beg for your forgiveness,” Annabelle mumbled as heat spread from her chest to the tips of her ears. 

Bending down, Annabelle watched as the woman’s long blonde curls fell in front of her face.  It was no wonder why William was smitten with the woman.  She was beautiful.  “I have to admit, that was not the first time something has been thrown at me.”  With a chuckle, the woman held Annabelle’s notepad out for her.  “Just do not let it happen twice.”

Staring at the way the woman’s blue eyes sparkled with amusement, Annabelle smiled in return.  “You are beautiful.”

“Thank you,” she replied with a laugh.  “I do not believe I caught your name.”

Thrusting her hand out, Annabelle turned red once more when her hand hit her notepad.  She had forgotten that the woman held it.  Gripping it, she brought it up to cover her chest as if that would be enough to hide her mortification.  “Annabelle.”

“Cassandra.”

“Oh!” Annabelle shouted as understanding entered her mind.  “You are the friend William spoke so much about.”

Cassandra frowned slightly, but the smile stayed on her face.  “They are lies,” she insisted.  “My table manners are superb and meddling is something that I do not condone.”

Annabelle laughed, hearing the jest in the woman’s words.  “I must admit, we have not spoken enough to discuss your horrid table manners.”