Part 9

Chapter 8

Annabelle ran her hand across its flank, feeling the coarse coat of hair beneath her fingers.  With a sigh, she took a step back and stared at the animal.  If only she could see it as it ran.  They were beautiful creatures, horses were, but she had always had a problem drawing them.  Many people thought her daft for admitting to that fact.  Her sister had even asked how Annabelle found it so easy to draw people, while this particular animal was a mystery to her mind.  Victoria didn’t realize all the muscles horses had in their bodies, didn’t realize that when they ran, they were magnificent creatures, and no matter how many times Annabelle tried, she could not capture them on paper.

“What an artist I am,” she mumbled sarcastically.  The horse snorted as if agreeing with her words.  With a smile on her face, Annabelle stepped towards the horse and ran her finger down the white stripe on its nose.  The horse shook its head as if it was trying to stop her from touching it.  “Fine,” she said with a sigh as she took a step away from it.

She stared at the animal and found it staring right back at her.  Squirming on her feet, she felt an odd urging to talk to the animal.  “I was just thinking about leaving them,” she admitted.  “I never thought of where I was going until I arrived here, and I even thought about leaving here.  Then I saw you.”  Holding her hand out, she took a step towards it and was pleasantly surprised when its nose bumped her palm.  “How could I not want to stay in the stables when such amazing company resides here?”

“Well, thank you,” a voice drawled from behind her.  Her hand dropped as she turned towards the man.  Her eyes narrowed while he sent her an emotionless smile.

“Mr. Dumont,” Annabelle said in a bored tone.  “I did not hear you enter the stables.”

Ramsey bowed slightly in a mocking manner.  “Not many people do.”  His eyes strayed away from her and stopped on the horse.  A genuine expression of warmth flew into his eyes as he walked towards the animal.  The horse leaned towards Ramsey as if not being able to wait until the man reached it.  A laugh escaped Ramsey has he pet the horse’s neck.  “Did you miss me, buddy?  Sorry, but your mother made me promise to attend dinner.  Although if I would have known the lovely Miss Nicholson would be waiting in my stables, I may have stayed there quite a bit longer.”

“Very amusing,” Annabelle snapped, but could not keep the smile off her face.  Ramsey looked happy; something that she had not thought the man was capable of feeling.  “What is its name?”

“His name is Dread,” Ramsey answered before motioning towards the stable next to them.  “Her name is Fury.  They are Cassie’s horses.”

She watched as Dread took a side step towards Ramsey.  “They look as if they are your horses.”

He nodded, but didn’t glance towards her.  “If Cassie was here, this boy would be shunning me.  Appearances are not always what they seem.”  This time, he looked towards Annabelle with a raised eyebrow.  “Like you being in the stables alone with a man at night.  Anyone who came along would think the worst, that the two of us are meeting at midnight in the stables for a sordid affair.  Tell me, Miss Nicholson, why are you here in the middle of the night?”