Part 2

Chapter 1

“He will never see you.”

The voice made her jump, but it should not have.  How many times had her sister frightened her?  Whether it was with her actions or her words, Victoria had absolutely no regard for her siblings.  Annabelle no longer allowed her sisters words to eat at her nerves, no longer let her actions reflect in Annabelle’s life.

“I do not mind,” Annabelle mumbled, watching as the man stared at a book in his hands.  “I quite prefer not to be seen.”

“For your silly drawings?” her sister cackled.  “When are you going to learn that men do not fancy women who do things other than bare their children?”

Every word that escaped her sister’s mouth made her lose concentration.  Every time Annabelle would pick her pen up to add another line to the drawing, her sister would begin speaking once more.  “Victoria,” Annabelle said with a sigh.  “Do you not have your husband to frighten?”

When nothing met her words, Annabelle glanced up at her sister.  Victoria’s eyes were filled with tears.  Annabelle stared at her sister in shock.  Never had she seen tears masking Victoria’s eyes.  “I do wish that we could leave.”

“Leave the castle?” Annabelle asked with disbelief.  “Why would you ever wish to leave?  Ever since father brought us here, you have adored the attention.  The servants have catered to your every need.  What could be so horrid that you wish to leave the life you’ve always dreamed to have?”

Victoria motioned to her left.  “The man that you watch, he does not see you, but he would if you would just step into the light.  My husband will not even glance my way.”

“Mayhap it is because you need to stand in the dark.”

Annabelle’s hand jerked on her paper, causing a line to be drawn through her portrait.  Narrowing her eyes, she glanced up.  “It must be my lucky day, two interruptions in mere minutes apart.”

The new arrival stared at her through blue eyes.  His blonde hair brushed his forehead.  “Now that I have arrived,” he said with a smile, “it will be the luckiest day in your life.”

Annabelle rolled her eyes at the man, not caring who he was.  Her sister’s antics, she could handle.  This unknown man, she wished he would leave.  There was something about him that was familiar, but she could not place him.  Still, she found her eyes staring into his.  The way his eyes shone with amusement, the way a smirk lifted the edge of his mouth.  It was fascinating, to say the least.  Flipping her page, she stared at him for a moment before hunching over her drawing.

“What is she doing?” the man asked.

Victoria cleared her throat, but Annabelle did not glance up.  “If you would allow me to apologize for my sister.  She has the tendency to be rude when something catches her fancy.”

“What caught her eye?”

The curiosity in his voice made Annabelle glance towards him.  Just as she expected, his expression had changed.  Instead of the confidence and amusement, she had seen earlier, his eyebrows were drawn together.  His lips were pursed slightly, making him appear younger than his years.  The man was adorable.  “You have, of course.”

“Of course,” he echoed.  His words were spoken slower than hers were, and she watched the movement of his lips.  The more expressions he made, the more she could see how his face changed, the easier it would be to draw him at a later time.

Tapping her chin, she smiled up at him.  “Tell me, do you find Victoria beautiful?” she asked, while motioning towards her sister.

Shock was the next emotion that flew across his face, quickly followed by panic.  “She is a very beautiful woman, but I do not—”

Ignoring his next words, she brought her attention back to her drawing.  “Are there paints in this household?”

“Excuse her once more,” Victoria mumbled, but they both ignored her.

The man, who she still did not know the name of, chuckled.  “You did not care which words I uttered, you wished to see my reaction.”

“It seems as if your looks are not the only thing that you have.”

“Annabelle,” Victoria gasped.  “Do keep your mouth shut.”

Standing from her stool, she curtsied.  “I do apologize for my words.  Now, if I may be excused?”  She glanced towards Victoria with a pleading expression.  Even though Annabelle was of age, Victoria was still her older sister. With their arrival to a new place, their father had been adamant that Annabelle was to listen to her sister.  If not, there would be consequences.  Even thinking of her father threatening her made Annabelle smile.  The man loved his children too much to do anything negative towards them.

“You may be excused.”

With a nod to them both, Annabelle left the room in a hurry.  With her pen in her hand and the man’s face in her mind, impatience ate at her.  Soon, she would be able to move the image from her mind to the paper.

*

William watched the woman leave with a smile on his face.  Annabelle, he recalled, her name was Annabelle.  Even as she left from his sight, he stared.

“She is quite remarkable.”

Jumping slightly, William glanced towards the sister.  Victoria stood there, her hands on her hips.  With the glare on her face, he knew that the woman did not know who he was.  To be honest, he was unsure if she would care for his title.  “She is,” he answered, unsure of what to say.  “Why did she leave so abruptly?” he asked, glancing back to where Annabelle fled.

Victoria let out a sigh.  “She found you fascinating and will spend hours in her room drawing you.”

“Which was what she was doing moments before I intruded?”

“Yes,” Victoria answered before pausing.  “She was drawing her favorite model.”

Her words made William’s head snap in her direction.  “Explain yourself.”

She motioned towards the study with narrowed eyes.  “I do not know who you think you are to speak to me in such away.”

William ignored her words, but followed the direction of her hand.  Sitting in the study was a man who knew quite well.  “My driver?”  William asked with a small chuckle.  “She enjoys drawing my driver?”

“Your driver,” Victoria echoed before a thump sounded through the room. 

With shock, he glanced in her direction only to find her lying on the ground.  Her immovable body made him take a step away from her.  “Zachary,” he called out, making his driver jerk in his seat.  Flushing, the young man snapped his book closed and hurried towards William.

“Yes, your Majesty?” the man mumbled, keeping his eyes down casted.

William smiled at the man’s lowered head.  No matter how many times he attempted to tell the man to look at him while they spoke, Zachary would not.  “Please aid this woman in whatever it is that ails her.”

“Yes, your Majesty.”

Without another word, Zachary stepped towards the woman.  William shook his head as the woman fluttered her eyes open.  The confused expression in her eyes was not genuine, but William did not think less of her.  Her mother had most likely taught her how to act, just as they taught Annabelle how to act.  Luckily, Annabelle seemed to be a horrid learner.

Glancing once more to where Annabelle disappeared, William smiled.  He found her intriguing.  From the way that she stared at him, to her abrupt questions, the woman was fascinating.  His smile widened.  Being late for his lessons once would not hinder him too badly.  It was time to find out exactly who Miss Annabelle was, and what she was doing in his home.